What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Civil War Battles - Virginia & Pennsylvania

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for another excellent history lesson. It's a shame that my history teachers in school weren't as interesting.

I found four original battle maps from the battle of second Manassas.
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for another excellent history lesson. It's a shame that my history teachers in school weren't as interesting.

I found four original battle maps from the battle of second Manassas.

Thanks Scifi.. for posting those original maps - I've always loved to view these Civil War cartographer's efforts - most of the museums dedicated to this war have examples of these old drawings, so always exciting to view some of the ones from those years.

An interesting website is Civil War Digital - check out the 'Civil War Maps' selection, but the others are of great interest - I've not done any buying from them but a great effort in the offerings on the site.

Finally, thanks for supporting my posts on this topic (and others) - kind of sad that only a few seem to have any interest - does take some time putting these posts together - Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The maps I've been posting are from the Library of Congress and were used in the app Civil War Today. It was released back in 2011 on the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War. The app takes you through the war one day at a time in a newspaper format. Each issue has news of the day, photographs, paintings, original newspaper pages, maps, etc.

The app is $3.49 and is still available in the App Store. https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/the-civil-war-today/id428812156?mt=8

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The maps I've been posting are from the Library of Congress and were used in the app Civil War Today. It was released back in 2010 on the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War. The app takes you through the war one day at a time in a newspaper format. Each issue has news of the day, photographs, paintings, original newspaper pages, maps, etc.

The app is $3.49 and is still available in the App Store. https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/the-civil-war-today/id428812156?mt=8

Thanks - sounds like a great app - I'll take a look! There are so many Civil War apps - I have a number of individual ones for certain battlefields - just amazing how the interest in this war continues and seems as strong as ever. I've been a member of the Civil War Trust for many years and have made some 'small' donations a couple times a year (last ones to 'save' Robert E. Lee's headquarters @ Gettysburg & also Champion Hill in Mississippi - one of the battles Grant won approaching Vicksburg) - an amazing organization - Dave :)

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Susan & I just returned from a 6-night trip into Virginia (VA) & southern Pennsylvania (PA) mainly to visit a number of American Civil War battlesites - not really her interest so had to entice her w/ some wonderful hotels along the way - ;)

Now, this could be a short or a long travelogue depending on the interest of others in the topic and the responses received, so will start and see what happens?

This first post will simply be an itinerary of our trip which included a one night stay in Petersburg, VA, three nights in Tysons Corner, VA near Washington, D.C., and two nights in Richmond, VA (the current capital of that state & also the capital of the Confederacy during the Civil War).

Below are 4 maps - the first is our drive from Winston-Salem, NC (our home town) to Petersburg, VA (about 3 hours); the second map from Petersburg to Tysons Corner, VA; the third image, our day trip into southern PA to Gettysburg; and the final one from Tysons Corner to Richmond for two nights.

I put over 900 miles on our car and we had a wonderful time although the traffic around D.C. on a holiday weekend (i.e. Memorial Day) was terrible! BUT, we survived - SO, this will be the start and is not chronological - hope that some will be interested which will help to guide me - Dave :)

Yes, I certainly learned a lot about the Civil War--in fact, more than I really wanted to know. Actually, I was very impressed with the films, exhibits and other presentations at the battlefield sites. The hotels and the brunch were pretty decent, too.

Last edited:

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks - now sure about the film (documentary) mentioned above, but may have seen it also? We likely will be back on Kiawah Island next spring, so may do a couple nights in Charleston and definitely pay the Hunley a visit!

For those who may have an interest in the American Civil War, there are thousands of books & videos, so hard to suggest what to read or view first (and of course many will have their own favorites); BUT, my first two recommendations: 1) Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson for a 'single' volume book; published in 1998 and winner of a Pulitzer Prize; and 2) The Civil War by Ken Burns for a video series.

NOW, if you want a college level discussion, then the Teaching Company's course on 'The American Civil War' is recommended - 48 lectures (30 mins each) - I'm currently re-watching this series (probably for the 10th time or so - can't remember).

There are PLENTY of other choices, but the first two are a good start - Dave :)
View attachment 65006 View attachment 65007 View attachment 65008
Before we went on this quest I consented to watch all 11 hours of the Ken Burns series plus the first 2 hours of the movie "Gettysburg." I also read part of "The Killer Angels," the book that the movie was based on. These were all very helpful to a neophyte Civil War traveler. (No, Dave, I'm not referring to Robert E. Lee's horse haha)

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the thread - assume that you have an interest in the Civil War w/ the recipe above for Hard Tack - believe that the ingredients are correct - of course, the aging process that includes the addition of live maggots would complete the 'dish' - ;) Dave

P.S. Hope that you'll join in w/ my upcoming posts :)
The maggots would provide the protein necessary for the soldiers to keep up their strength. Same with the organisms in their water. :p

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Boy, my wife chimed in on this thread that went dormant because of few responses & likes, except for my friend Scifan.. who has always supported these travelogues of mine - thanks, amigo!

Now, I actually had about a dozen more posts for this trip but was discouraged - most of these posts w/ lots of pics take me about 20-30 mins to put together, so just need some more encouragement, I guess - Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're welcome Dave.
I, for one, would be interested in more of your excellent history of the Civil War.

Last edited:

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'll bet one of you guys follow /Beau Ouimette/ on You Tube? If not, check him out somtime. He's primarily a Civil War relic hunter. What makes his metal detecting videos stand out is that he is very respectful. Learned a lot from him.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Tysons Corner, VA - Ritz-Carlton Hotel, Galleria, & Legal Sea Foods

Well, let me continue this recent travelogue, although this post will be an introduction to a 3-night stay w/ a day trip into Washington, D.C. and also a trip out to the Gettysburg National Battlefield in southern Pennsylvania.

Now to help 'entice' Susan into a Civil War battlefield vacation, I needed some allurements, and hotels and food often do the trick - and shopping does not hurt - :) So, from the Manassas National Battlefield Park, a short hour's drive brought us to the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Tysons Corner, Virginia - in the past, I've stayed myself at this hotel for two or three medical meetings - it is quite nice (pic below of outside) & attached to one of several in-door shopping malls (Galleria) which have a number of restaurants, including one of our favorite seafood chains (above in the title) - plus, we used some discount points and got onto the concierge floor, which was nice for breakfast and after dinner desserts/drinks.

Tysons Corner was a great location for our plans - see map below - a drive northeast (red arrow) enters Maryland through Frederick and into Pennsylvania (just over an hour drive, depending on traffic which was horrible on the way back!), and a metro ride east and across the Potomac River takes one into D.C. and the downtown museums - thus are 2 one-day outings. Concerning our meals on this trip, please check the - Food Thread - Legal Sea Foods twice in the Galleria and some wonderful eats in Richmond, which will be a later post.

So next up will be a day trip into D.C., and then probably 3 posts on Gettysburg - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-06-07 at 12.10.51 PM.png
01-BD2_1859.jpg
GalleriaInside-1200x475.jpg
legal-sea-foods-mclean.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'll bet one of you guys follow /Beau Ouimette/ on You Tube? If not, check him out somtime. He's primarily a Civil War relic hunter. What makes his metal detecting videos stand out is that he is very respectful. Learned a lot from him.

Hello and thanks for your interest - I've not seen this particular show(s). Metal detecting on and around federal Civil War Battlefields is a tricky legal situation, i.e. usually forbidden on the preserved lands owned by the government (at least was true on our visits to Manassas & Gettysburg); however, whether special permits can be obtained is a consideration; also private and state lands around these battlefields may be another issue altogether, although permission is (or should) be obtained.

On our visit to the Petersburg Battlefield, the people there were quite sparse but the place was policed by park rangers. I'm a long time member of the Civil War Trust and receive frequent mailings of lands that they are trying to purchase - the maps are quite revealing regarding 'how much' land is federal vs. private or otherwise, so I could see doing 'metal detecting' on the private property, if allowed, and finding a lot of Civil War relics.

But this organization is quite vigilant in its efforts to preserve these battlefields - in fact, I just donated early this year to 'saving' Robert E. Lee's Headquarters, which is shown below w/ a hotel in the background and other private buildings to the side - the Trust recently raised $5.5 million and all of those buildings around the headquarters will be demolished and the site restored to its appearance when Lee stayed there in early July, 1861. Dave :)

P.S. I added a third pic below, i.e. a colorized photo from the time of Lee's occupancy - compare the two - in the restoration, the dormers will be removed and I suspect the downspouts will not remain - not sure what the time schedule will be; the surrounding 'modern' building, including the small hotel (Quality Inn, I believe) will also be demolished.
Screen Shot 2015-06-07 at 12.47.46 PM.png
leeshq-modern02.jpg

lee-headquarters-gettyrsburg.jpg

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tysons Corner, VA - Ritz-Carlton Hotel, Galleria, & Legal Sea Foods

Well, let me continue this recent travelogue, although this post will be an introduction to a 3-night stay w/ a day trip into Washington, D.C. and also a trip out to the Gettysburg National Battlefield in southern Pennsylvania.

Now to help 'entice' Susan into a Civil War battlefield vacation, I needed some allurements, and hotels and food often do the trick - and shopping does not hurt - :) So, from the Manassas National Battlefield Park, a short hour's drive brought us to the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Tysons Corner, Virginia - in the past, I've stayed myself at this hotel for two or three medical meetings - it is quite nice (pic below of outside) & attached to one of several in-door shopping malls (Galleria) which have a number of restaurants, including one of our favorite seafood chains (above in the title) - plus, we used some discount points and got onto the concierge floor, which was nice for breakfast and after dinner desserts/drinks.

Tysons Corner was a great location for our plans - see map below - a drive northeast (red arrow) enters Maryland through Frederick and into Pennsylvania (just over an hour drive, depending on traffic which was horrible on the way back!), and a metro ride east and across the Potomac River takes one into D.C. and the downtown museums - thus are 2 one-day outings. Concerning our meals on this trip, please check the - Food Thread - Legal Sea Foods twice in the Galleria and some wonderful eats in Richmond, which will be a later post.

So next up will be a day trip into D.C., and then probably 3 posts on Gettysburg - Dave :)

View attachment 65250 View attachment 65251 View attachment 65252 View attachment 65253
With a hotel and mall like that, I'm sure quite a few guests can spend their entire stay without ever going outside. You won't be one of them, though.:)

I await your next instalment in your travel stories.

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Washington, D.C. - Day Trip

Because of intermittent rain our first full day, we decided on the trip into D.C. to visit two new museums, i.e. the Newseum and the National Museum of Crime & Punishment (also, the International Spy Museum is close by but seen on a previous visit). The museums are shown on the map below (left, blue arrows) - the Newseum is on Pennsylvania Ave (White House in one direction & the Capitol in the other). We took the Metro into the city, i.e. the 'silver line' from Tysons Corner to L'Enfant Plaza and then to the National Archives on the 'yellow or blue line' (right map, red arrows). Washington, D.C. is an absolute driving nightmare, especially for first-timers - my recommendation is to find a hotel near a metro station and then buy daily (or multi-day) passes.

We started at the Newseum which was MUCH larger than expected and spent 4 hours there (still missing much) - we wanted a late afternoon dinner and then back to the Ritz on the metro; the other museum will wait for a future trip. Now there are many museums to visit in the D.C. (I've been there dozens of times starting in the mid-70s), so one has to plan well. Below are some pics of the outside & inside of the museum we saw - check the link above for exhibits and activities.

Washington is an eater's paradise, especially for ethnic restaurants - our choice just a few blocks from the museum was Jaleo, a Spanish-influenced tapas restaurant - Susan & I shared 7 or 8 small plates - items quoted below; believe we might have repeated one or two? She had sangria and I had a nice Spanish wine (two glasses since I was not driving) which was a mix of Chardonnay & Sauvignon Blanc - despite the weather and the crowded metro returning during rush hour, we had a great day. Dave :)

Gazpacho estilo Algeciras - chilled vegetable soup
Gambas al ajillo - shrimp sautéed w/ garlic
Calamares en su tinta - squid seared w/ white rice & squid ink
Pulpo a la Gallega - boiled octopus w/ small potatoes, pimentón & olive oil
Mejillones al vapor - steamed mussels w/ olive oil & bay leaf
Ostras a la Gallegas - warm oysters w/ lemon, gin & tonic
Codorniz con salsa - grilled quail w/ rosemary sauce & honey alioli
Screen Shot 2015-06-07 at 12.00.54 PM.png
Connect_PressInfo_ID_Bldg_1.jpg
78_newseum.jpg
new-era-work-retreats-dahl-open-forum-embed.jpg
04-newseum-honor-2009-awards.jpg
Jaleo_Washington_01.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With all that there is to see in Washington D.C. that you could spend a month and still not see it all. Thanks for posting about the Newseum, I hadn't heard of it before.

Most reactions