What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chrome as default browser, is there a tweak?

dandem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
Chrome is available now, now Im looking for a tweak to make it as default browser.
Please let me know if it does exit.

Thank you!

P.S. The only tweak I was able to find is Open in Chrome.

Attachments

• image-2077806276.jpg
    image-2077806276.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Without jail breaking, Safari will be your default. There is no way round that on a stock iPad.

Whoops, just noticed we're in the hacking section. Hang tight. There is a way. Just wait for one of the regular hackers.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As Kevin guessed - yes, there are a couple of tweaks to make Chrome the default browser. There's the "old" standby, BrowserChanger, which has been updated to allow for making Chrome the default. This free tweak allows you to select from several browsers, not just Chrome. In addition, it comes with an SBSettings toggle, so you can turn off the tweak (and thus make Safari the default again ... temporarily).

The newest browser tweak is called "Browser Chooser." This one is only to set Chrome as the default. As with Browser Changer, this one is free, also. It's by the developer Ryan Petrich and this tweak is only available on his beta repo (rpetri.ch/repo).

Those two, along with the one you listed, are the only ones I am aware of. Maybe someone else can think of one I may have missed. Otherwise - that's it. They are both good tweaks, it's just up to you to decide which one you want to use.

Marilyn

OP
D

dandem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
As Kevin guessed - yes, there are a couple of tweaks to make Chrome the default browser. There's the "old" standby, BrowserChanger, which has been updated to allow for making Chrome the default. This free tweak allows you to select from several browsers, not just Chrome. In addition, it comes with an SBSettings toggle, so you can turn off the tweak (and thus make Safari the default again ... temporarily).

The newest browser tweak is called "Browser Chooser." This one is only to set Chrome as the default. As with Browser Changer, this one is free, also. It's by the developer Ryan Petrich and this tweak is only available on his beta repo (rpetri.ch/repo).

Those two, along with the one you listed, are the only ones I am aware of. Maybe someone else can think of one I may have missed. Otherwise - that's it. They are both good tweaks, it's just up to you to decide which one you want to use.

Marilyn

Marilyn, Thank you very much, looks like there are a few good tweaks,
I'm also have Safari Upload Enabler tweak which is very important to me, couldn't find the same one for Chrome, sure it will be out there in a few weeks or so.
I guess just have to wait with Chrome.

thank you.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just an FYI - BrowserChooser is now in Cydia under the default ModMyi repo. So, you don't have to load the repo I mentioned above.

It supports these browsers: Google Chrome, Opera Mini, iCab Mobile, Dolphin Browser, Atomic Browser, Diigo, iLunascape, MammothIV, Puffin, Mercury and Safari.

Just so's you know...

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just thought I would mention that I could not get the latest BrowserChooser to allow URL's to be launch Chrome properly from Tapatalk. Looks like a little bug.

I've switched back to BrowserChanger and everything is working fine.

NielNiel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the repo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NielNiel

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Marilyn

Ryan Petrich had removed Browser Changer from his repo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most reactions

Latest posts