What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Christmas probalby not coming early

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I broke down and purchased a new 12.9 in iPad Pro. I went to Verizon, willing to settle for the new 11 in modle, but all they had was the 64 GB version. I’m already suing more than that in my current iPad.

So, backorder it is, and 12.9 in since I have to wait anyway. I picked up the new Pencil and Smart Keyboard, so there they sit, all shiny and unopened; reminding me that I have to wait until Christmas. Well, almost Christmas. They should be here by the 22nd.

All of this proving that I haven’t gotten any more patient than I was as a kid. :)

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You will really like it (12.9 512GB)—I do—I had a preorder from 10/30 with B & H with a delivery hold until 11/27 so just got mine end of last week—and Pencil 2. Feels like a big difference from my early gen 1 with only 128 GB. The reduced footprint is the first thing I noticed-and of course the flat edging which I like a lot. Lots more and its worth waiting for—I was very impatient also but had to put a hold on delivery because of being out of town intermittently. Enjoy it when you get it—and the Pencii also which is so nice to have handy all the time, charged and matte finish which is lovely to use (and no cap LOL)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yipee!

Looks like it shipped early. Expecting it this Wednesday. A whole 10 days early.

Ratcheting up anticipation level to 11.
5DEE1367-CC03-4F3B-A7BC-A1175F07A019.jpeg

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Shouldn’t be a problem. All said and done, it doesn’t do much more than the older modle; just faster and with a bit more style. I should run out of new things to try only a bit past my usual bed time.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Shouldn’t be a problem. All said and done, it doesn’t do much more than the older modle; just faster and with a bit more style. I should run out of new things to try only a bit past my usual bed time.

No, really nothing new that it does that my gen 1 doesn’t but the speed and smoothness are certainly appreciated since I use it far more than my Macbook Pro 15” (Affinity Photo with a number of layers and Pixelmator are lovely to use now). I think the things that are big changes—for me—are Face ID (which I really like since I often had issues with touch ID on the other—and now my Ipad gestures match my phone’s), the footprint of course which makes it seem so much smaller—though its not THAT much smaller or lighter, and the second gen Pencii which is a big plus for me. I use the pencil a lot—and having it right there and always charged is great.

I think I will notice the difference between my 128 GB and 512 GB with photos especially—and the battery will be another plus as my old Gen 1 was showing its age and heavy use.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No, really nothing new that it does that my gen 1 doesn’t but the speed and smoothness are certainly appreciated since I use it far more than my Macbook Pro 15” (Affinity Photo with a number of layers and Pixelmator are lovely to use now). I think the things that are big changes—for me—are Face ID (which I really like since I often had issues with touch ID on the other—and now my Ipad gestures match my phone’s), the footprint of course which makes it seem so much smaller—though its not THAT much smaller or lighter, and the second gen Pencii which is a big plus for me. I use the pencil a lot—and having it right there and always charged is great.

I think I will notice the difference between my 128 GB and 512 GB with photos especially—and the battery will be another plus as my old Gen 1 was showing its age and heavy use.

Yep. A lot of little things that add up to a better experience. That, and making sure I’m ready for the new more powerful software that new and more powerful hardware encourages. Also, haveing the Pen always there and always charged is a great.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I’m still hoping that the USBc port will be used for more than now. Have looked at the new hubs available but none really are that useful for me—I already bought the USBc SD dongle, use Air Pods, not sure if I will need/use any of the other ports on the hubs (also have a USBc to lightning cable from use with 29W brick with gen1 Ipad Pro).

I’d love being able to use an external drive—understand that if the drive’s developers wrote an app for it that might be possible. Now I use a WD wifi/USB external with its app and discovered I could access it with Files app also. That drive is used primarily for travel—I have thunderbolt and USB Lacie drives with photo files back to 1999 and would transfer some to a compatible drive with the ipad. So—I too am looking forward to both software and hardware that can take advantage of the Ipad’s power.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Twerppoet, now that you have had your Ipad for several days-and also the new keyboard cover, curious if you think the new case might be balanced enough to sit in your lap to type. Also how you feel about the keyboard folding back to hold the Ipad flat—or do you pull the cover off the Ipad to hold flat (I’m thinking of usng the Pencil on it—the alternative for me would likely be to use the Techmatte stand that i can set at any angle). I don’t draw but write, take notes with it, and annotate pdfs in Noteability.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Typing on your lap is ok. Not great. Not much different than using the original 12.9 inch iPad Pro and it’s smart cover. It is not something I do by preference. The screen angle is ok, but due to my eyesight I have to hunch over to see text clearly. That gets uncomforable if I do it for long. So about half this was typed in my lap, then I put it back on the table.

I don’t have much use for the steeper angle. I can see using it if I was putting the iPad at near eye level for movie watching, but I almost never do that. Put it at eye level, I mean. I watch movies and other streaming content fairly often.

I hear the 11 inch iPad Pro’s screen angles are steeper, and less lappable.

Holding the iPad with the case folded back is fine. It’s a little odd feeling the keys, but not bothersome. Because the keys are exposed, I’m not laying the iPad flat on the table when open and folded back. I dont’ think it would do any damage, but I don’t want the keys to pick any more gunk than necessary. I take the case off if I need to lay it flat on a table. Sometimes I take the case off when I’m holding it, mostly when I intend to use it that way for a long time.

Detaching the iPad from the keyboard takes a bit more effort, due to all the magnets in the back, but it isn’t difficult.

With the old case you could take the iPad off the keyboard, then use the triangle part of the case to lean/prop the iPad up at a slight angle. I used this a lot for drawing and other Pencil stuff. You can’t do this with new case. If you want some kind of shallow angle you’ll want a differnt case/combo, or perhaps a stand you can use with the case.

I want some kind of folding stand portable rubber props, and I’ve seen a few. In the mean time I just prop up the iPad (sans keyboard) using whatever is handly.

Most reactions

Latest posts