What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Child protecting my ipad 2 to only allow use of certain apps?

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My niece loves to use my ipad 2. But sometimes she likes to open apps that she's too young to use, and occasionally, she will get into a screen and almost purchase something.

Is there any way to set my ipad up so that she can only access certain apps, and so that I don't have to worry about her buying anything?

Chantelle310

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd say if you was jailbroken then use an app like "app locker" to pass code lock any app of you're choice. Don't really know any other ways around it if not jailbroken though sorry.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you can wait for iOS 6, it's supposed to have a single app mode which will let you lock the iPad to a single app (temporarily). I'm not sure how exactly it will work, but it is pretty much meant to do what you want.

Note, this is based on leaks/rumors of iOS 6, but it is a very reliable rumor, as such things go.

iOS 6 will probably be out in September or October. Again, rumor, but semi-reliable.

Hrenak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's alot easier than you think.

Simply just go to the settings app on the home screen.
Next go to restrictions and tap enable restrictions.
It should all be simple, just set a password and your ready to set up restrictions for your child.

The restrictions section allows you to block certain apps, disable store purchases, and more.

Hope I helped with child proofing your iPad.

-Josh

OP
G

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's alot easier than you think.

Simply just go to the settings app on the home screen.
Next go to restrictions and tap enable restrictions.
It should all be simple, just set a password and your ready to set up restrictions for your child.

The restrictions section allows you to block certain apps, disable store purchases, and more.

Hope I helped with child proofing your iPad.

-Josh

Thanks, I've run into a bit of a road block. When I click on Restrictions, it asks me for my Restrictions Code, and I'm not sure what that is. I don't even remember setting one up. Any ideas on what to do?

Hrenak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GAMESHARQ said:
Thanks, I've run into a bit of a road block. When I click on Restrictions, it asks me for my Restrictions Code, and I'm not sure what that is. I don't even remember setting one up. Any ideas on what to do?

If you never set one it should make you set your own.
Otherwise, if you can't get into restrictions and you don't know the code, reset all the settings on the iPad, doing this WILL NOT delete apps or media it will just reset passwords in the settings app and etc. You may do this by going to the settings app, general, then at the bottom reset.

Once you're there tap the first option which would be reset all settings, and as i said before this will not erase any apps or media upon tapping this it will say the same.

Your iPad will restart itself and erase the settings.

Turn your iPad back on by holding the power button down.

It will load the default settings.

Do not be alarmed if you come to the iPad setup screen this is normal, once you set everything up again, all your apps and media will appear again, and the restrictions password removed.

Hope I helped

-Josh

Last edited:

david rodriguez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GAMESHARQ said:

This is where you first setup a restriction code, that is what it is asking of you, just not in so many words, just key in four numbers of your choice.

Most reactions

Latest posts