What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

checking dependencies in SSH with dpkg?

gray_mouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi.

A lot of times when you install a .deb some packages require additional packages to be configured. They'll install if those packages aren't present, but will not be configured.

Is there a way to check dependencies from shell prior to installation of a package?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
dpkg is just a simple installer. It will inform you of missing dependencies, but it will not install them for you.

apt is the intelligent front end, so apt should be used in most situations where there are dependencies. Cydia is a graphical apt front end.

Sounds to me like you probably want something along the lines of "apt-get -f install" to deal with installing dependencies, but I never do this on an iDevice at command line, so don't think I can offer any additional pointers.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gray_mouse said:
Hi.

A lot of times when you install a .deb some packages require additional packages to be configured. They'll install if those packages aren't present, but will not be configured.

Is there a way to check dependencies from shell prior to installation of a package?

I like your avatar!

Most reactions