Charlotte and Environs

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Jan 22, 2019.

1. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I suppose prohibition gave a real boost to the moonshine business as prohibition turned out to be one of the most unpopular and flagrantly ignored laws in U.S. history.

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Prohibition was a 'National Disaster', so completely in agreement. For those interested, checkout the 2011 6-hr documentary by Ken Burns on Prohibition - short interview w/ Ken below.

Concerning North Carolina moonshining, also concur about the effect of Prohibition on the 'industry' - although moonshining in the state dates back to colonial days, its most infamous period began with Prohibition in the 1920s and 1930s; after repeal, the practice continued as making moonshine was wildly popular, supported individuals and their families, and was still desired by many people; that was the period when Wilkes County was known as the 'Moonshine Capital of the World' where Junior Johnson rose to fame and saw the emergence of NASCAR. But moonshining declined in the later decades of the 20th century with opening of ABC stores in North Carolina, the shift to other drug trafficking, and likely other reasons.

Also along with the opening of well over a hundred craft breweries in the state, distilleries have become popular - see quote below - the NC map shows over 50 distilleries making 'legal' whiskey and even products resembling 'moonshine' - I've circled the 'Broad Branch Distillery' in Winston-Salem (we've not made a visit and done a tour but will be in our near future - I've been to distilleries in Tennessee & Kentucky, so should be interesting, of course, on a MUCH smaller scale). Dave :)

Moohshine2_A.jpg Moohshine2_B.jpg Moohshine2_C.png Moohshine2_D.jpg Moohshine2_E.jpg Moohshine2_F.png

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I’ve got the Ken Burns Prohibition series. It was very informative and enjoyable.
    Even today we still feel the effects of prohibition as it changed the way alcohol was and still is consumed. Drinking at home became more acceptable and two years after prohibition ended Alcoholics Anonymous
    Was founded.

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Yep - I thought you might own that documentary - we watched on PBS when released but I did not buy the DVD - might take a look at the current options since certainly worth a second viewing. Ken's next big project is on Country Music to be aired later this year (wish it were earlier!) - as indicated in the link, Bill Malone is the main commentator (although there will be plenty of 'start' interviews) - I just finished reading his 50th Anniversary edition (2018) of the book below on the subject - excellent (believe that I've own all editions over the decades).

But returning to moonshine, prohibition, and the rapid rise of legal distilleries in North Carolina - just was perusing the Broad Branch Distillery website - located in downtown Winston-Salem and offering tours w/ a tasting at the end (similar to posts in my Kentucky thread) - their products look quite interesting (one featured below) - a lot of these new places are clustered around the Charlotte area and on this recent visit, we were considering a 'distillery tour' - maybe next time? Dave :)
    Moonshine3_A.jpg Moonshine3_B.jpg Moonshine3_C.jpg Moonshine3_D.png

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hey Scifan.. - last night, I wanted to watch one of my many documentary DVDs/BDs (quite a few multi-disc sets) - so I was rummaging through the collection and 'my word' I found the BD of Burn's Prohibition - watched the first of 3 discs last night - as expected, quite excellent! Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 11.10.25 AM.png

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Moonshine Can Still Cause Health Problems

Despite the fact that 'moonshine' (i.e. mainly non-aged corn-based whiskey) is produced legally in the United States since 2010, the 'home-made' stuff (a.k.a. moonshine, rotgut, hooch, white lightning, mountain dew, home brew, and other colorful names!); unfortunately, outside the flammability (of high proof alcohol) and potential for alcoholism, there are potential 'toxins' in illegal moonshine, mainly methanol (wood alcohol which can cause blindness, among other maladies) and lead poisoning (related to leaded solder in metal joints or the use of old radiators, which might also contain glycol) - see the quotes below and check the link for much more discussion (written in November 2018 and proofed by a physician).

Lead poisoning can occur at all ages, especially in children ingesting old lead-based paint, but drinking 'home brew' is another potential danger (see third quote below). In 1971, I graduated from medical school (in Michigan) and we moved to North Carolina - I did a medical internship from 1971-72 at Wake Forest University Medical School (and later a radiology residency) - but on a month rotation to the local community hospital, one of my first patients was an elderly man who presented w/ a variety of symptoms, which included discolored lines around the gums and both a hand and foot drop, signs of lead intoxication - after further questioning, we finally elicited the history of long term drinking of moonshine - Dave :)

GettyImages-832823632-59c6c83103f40200104d46d3.jpg 7697aa.jpg Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 11.24.54 AM.png 45807496_156330302009207_381677358036293276_n.jpg

7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm glad you discovered your copy and enjoyed it.