What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging

Rebecca1153

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I plugged it in last night before I went to sleep and I woke up this morning and on the lock screen it had two notifications and on top of the notifications were a triangle with an exclamation point and"Charging is not supported with this accessory.
What does that mean?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It means the charger probably is not providing enough juice to charge your iPad at a good rate. It probably still is charging, but slowly. (Look at your battery percentage for increase, and if you see it declining rather than increasing, stop using that charger. If it's increasing but slowly, then you decide whether that's fast enough for you, or you go with the OEM wall wart or another charger instead.)

From my experience, third-party chargers, even namebrand ones, can develop this "not supported" problem when there are firmware upgrades. (I don't know why, but it's happened to me before with iPod/iPhone chargers that worked perfectly fine before and then suddenly gave me that message. Even on iDevices that charged perfectly before, I've had that happen with such chargers.)

What has always worked for me: the OEM Apple chargers and the Griffin PowerBlock.

OP
Rebecca1153

Rebecca1153

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have it plugged into an extension cord. Does that make any difference?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You mean you plugged your Apple wall wart into an electrical extension cord, or you mean you're using a longer USB cord (non-OEM), plugged into your wall wart? If No. 1, that shouldn't make a difference unless there's something wrong with your electrical extension cord. If No. 2, the longer USB cord might not carry enough juice.

To test, just get rid of the extension cord and try using the OEM wall wart and USB cord. If there's no problem charging that way, get rid of whatever substitute you're using, because that's the problem.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Remember that the iPad charges at 5vdc and 2.1 amps. If it is a cheap extension cord it may have a voltage drop and regardless it will have a current or power rating.

Now, I've seen some of the USB to 30 pin cables (3rd gen iPad and 4S iPhone) give that same error message. Also check that it is fully connected to the iPad and try to remove it and reconnect - all assuming you are using the correct rated wall adapter for an iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts