What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging the ipad

jonho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you use an apple iPhone car charger to charge the iPad without any damage

Jonho

Tomscave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It depends on the brand of car charger. Some will charge at the 2 amps needed by the iPad and some only supply .5 amps which are made to charge iPhones and iPods, but will charge the iPad sloooowly and only when it's off. I have an AT&T car charger with extra USB port that I purchased with my iPhone 4 and it supplies the 2 amps needed for my iPad.

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like toms cave said, anything under 2 amps will not charge. No damage will occur if you try it out on the one you have.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The lower power input will charge the iPad, but it will take a long time.... If you are using the iPad while plugged into a 500ma charger, it will "sustain" your typical use but not charge...

-t

bareknuckle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup... even when "charging" via PC it will say that its not charging... it charges at a very2 slow rate and needs the screen to be off for it to charge.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bareknuckle said:
Yup... even when "charging" via PC it will say that its not charging... it charges at a very2 slow rate and needs the screen to be off for it to charge.

Not entirely true, mine is plugged into a PC right now and it says not charging, if I pull the plug it tells me the charge level has gone up (whilst I was using it)......so in some cases it does charge, albeit slowly, even while in use.

The Archangel

Padi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mmm....

So am I correct in assuming that if I use the iPad charger to charge my iPhone it could possibly damage it due to the higher amps?

Ste

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Padi said:
Mmm....

So am I correct in assuming that if I use the iPad charger to charge my iPhone it could possibly damage it due to the higher amps?

Ste

Not gonna damage it. It will charge much faster though.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mmm....

Ste

The iPad charger will work just fine on the iPhone. The iPhone has sophisticated digital power management electronics that controls the charge current very carefully. The iPad charger has a current charging *capacity* of 2A but that does not imply that the iPhone will use 2A. The iPhone will simply take whatever current it requires. It wouldn't matter if the iPad charger could supply 1000A, it still would not damage the iPhone.

Tim

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bareknuckle said:

Not entirely true, mine is plugged into a PC right now and it says not charging, if I pull the plug it tells me the charge level has gone up (whilst I was using it)......so in some cases it does charge, albeit slowly, even while in use.

The Archangel

ITA. It charges, just slow. Also ~ I use my daughter's iPod charger all the time for my iPad. They are identical so I mix them up.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Those who want to charge iPad and other ebook type devices from their PC USB socket can download a free program called ASUS AI charger, tweaks the current available

bareknuckle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Those who want to charge iPad and other ebook type devices from their PC USB socket can download a free program called ASUS AI charger, tweaks the current available

Dude! Downloaded it and Ipad 2 is now charging! Thanks man! Cheers... :D

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bareknuckle said:
Dude! Downloaded it and Ipad 2 is now charging! Thanks man! Cheers... :D

Your very welcome, can't claim all the credit as learnt if it in here in another thread, just spreading the power :)

Most reactions