What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging the ipad

Tassiecelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I'm comparing with iPhone, but...charging the ipad2 seems really slow.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Are you using the iPad or iPhone charger? The iPhone charger will only charge the iPad very slowly. The two chargers may *look* the same, but they're not. The iPad charger is a 10 W, high current, charger specially for the iPad (though you can use it on the iPhone too - it won't damage it or 'force feed' it and the iPhone won't charge any faster).

So, yes, if you're using the iPhone charger on the iPad it will be slooowwww...

Tim

OP
Tassiecelt

Tassiecelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Are you using the iPad or iPhone charger? The iPhone charger will only charge the iPad very slowly. The two chargers may *look* the same, but they're not. The iPad charger is a 10 W, high current, charger specially for the iPad (though you can use it on the iPhone too - it won't damage it or 'force feed' it and the iPhone won't charge any faster).

Tim

Wow I didn't know that, thanks so much for telling me.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another tip that I found in the forum, and have tested myself: The ipad may indicate a 100% charge, but it's actually still trickle charging itself. I tried this on my last charge, leaving it for an extra hour after the 100% was shown. Battery life on this charge is decreasing a lot more slowly.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also if you want a faster charge, you should close all apps. This definitely helps the iPad charge a lot faster.

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim

So there's a completely seperate charger available for ipad? I've only ever used the USB cable plugged into a USB/mains adapter

Reaction score
incapete said:
So there's a completely seperate charger available for ipad? I've only ever used the USB cable plugged into a USB/mains adapter

The iPad does ship with a wall charger, so you should have one.

Btw. the iPad charger is also only a USB charger which goes into the power plug, so it sounds as if you are already using it.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also if you want a faster charge, you should close all apps. This definitely helps the iPad charge a lot faster.
No . It does not. The iPad is not a real Multi Task machine. So all programs are just having a very deep sleep on the memory.

What can draw power is:
Wifi Open
GPS active.
Screen Open ( Like a CNN pop News that activate screen)

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
peled said:
No . It does not. The iPad is not a real Multi Task machine. So all programs are just having a very deep sleep on the memory.

What can draw power is:
Wifi Open
GPS active.
Screen Open ( Like a CNN pop News that activate screen)

I definitely noticed a difference yesterday while I was charging in a hurry after closing down every app..

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have another all purpose third party charger at work that I use sometimes too that charges it much slower that was meant for the iPhone and iPod. So I can definitely see the difference between an iPhone based one and the one that comes supplied with the iPad. At home I plug my iPad with its own charger into an outlet and it charges up just fine.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Don't forget the size of the ipad battery is bigger than the iphone one, so with a different charger and a different battery its not really fair to compare.

HerbalTBag

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

I don't know what charger you were using but my iPhone charger won't charge my iPad, cause I wasn't going to use my new one that came with it but when I plugged it in with the iPhone charger it didn't do anything just said not charging.

Oldcrow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Folks, I'm a total noob here and just got my iPad a few days ago. This is my first post!

I'm a purchaser for a national US distributor and my product category is chargers and batteries for consumer electronics like cell phones and laptops.

The whole accessory industry wasn't quite prepared for the power demands of the iPad and Nook Color. Your USB port puts out 500 milliAmps of current on a Windows PC. Most newer Apple computers put out 1100 milliApms (1.1 Amps). 1.1Amps is the minimum required for an iPad.

At the moment, 1.1 and 2 Amp USB chargers are hard to find. This will change by the summer of 2011 - There are already shipments of these chargers on the water from China.

In the mean time, keep that 2 Amp Apple charger handy!

Most reactions

Latest posts