What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging the battery

Drofpets

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi to all, how often do you charge your battery? Each time you put it down? Overnight? Can you charge it when its half flat?
Thanks for any replies.

stargirl1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go in to app store and download battery doctor,it's great. Let's you kno when to do full charge,tips on how to conserve battery life etc.:thumbs:

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I charge mine when it gets down to 20-25%. Same as I did with my iPad and iPad2. It charges to 100% in about 3-4 hours but I just plug it in when I go to bed and unplug when I get up.

lindy123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi is it ok to leave charging overnight then? I thought you shouldn't leave it charging for too long, but then what do I know I have only had my iPad for a couple of months, incidentally it seems to take more than 4 hours to charge fully.

donebb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
stargirl1 said:
Go in to app store and download battery doctor,it's great. Let's you kno when to do full charge,tips on how to conserve battery life etc.:thumbs:

Which Battery Doctor works for you? There are several different ones.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
lindy123 said:
Hi is it ok to leave charging overnight then? I thought you shouldn't leave it charging for too long, but then what do I know I have only had my iPad for a couple of months, incidentally it seems to take more than 4 hours to charge fully.

I leave mine always plugged in, unless i leave the house with it.

donebb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been wondering about this too. Two different reps at the apple store told me two completely different stories I about batteries and charging. I looked on Apples site and found information but still have questions. Where is the definitive web site about charging? Thx.

Reaction score
Don't over-think charging. The battery and charging circuitry are amazingly sophisticated, making it very hard to screw it up.

Charge it when it needs it, or when you have time. And once a month (more or less), run it all the way done and then charge it fully, to recalibrate the battery level metering.

Or do what I do. When I sit down at my desk in the morning, I plug it in, and stream music all day. By quitting time, it is fully charged and lasts throughout the evening/night if I need it. Next day, repeat. On the weekend, I'm usually out and about, and the iPad is home, on the charger.

Again, don't over-think, just enjoy!

OP
D

Drofpets

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi and thanks to all, i find the charger plugs gets very hot when charging, is this normal?

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Charging Tips
The quickest way to charge your iPad is with the included 10W USB Power Adapter. iPad will also charge, although more slowly, when attached to a computer with a high-power USB port (many recent Mac computers) or with an iPhone Power Adapter. When attached to a computer via a standard USB port (most PCs or older Mac computers) iPad will charge, but only when it's in sleep mode. Make sure your computer is on while charging iPad via USB. If iPad is connected to a computer that’s turned off or is in sleep or standby mode, the iPad battery will continue to drain.

Maximum Battery Life
To maximize battery life, Apple engineers took the same lithium-polymer battery technology they developed for Mac notebook computers and applied it to the iPad. As a result, you can use iPad for up to 10 hours while surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching videos, or listening to music. While surfing the web on a 3G data network (Wi-Fi + 3G model), you can get up to 9 hours of battery life.

Charge Cycles
A properly maintained iPad battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1000 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs.

Let It Breathe
Charging your iPad while in certain carrying cases may generate excess heat, which can affect battery capacity. If you notice that your iPad gets hot when you charge it, take it out of its case first.

iPad 3
Charge time is close to 6 hours or more, as it is a bigger battery.

OP
D

Drofpets

iPF Noob
Reaction score
stargirl1 said:

Hi stargirl1, thanks for the tip, i just downloaded the app it looks good will see,how it performs.

lindy123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HKey_Current_User said:
Don't over-think charging. The battery and charging circuitry are amazingly sophisticated, making it very hard to screw it up.

Charge it when it needs it, or when you have time. And once a month (more or less), run it all the way done and then charge it fully, to recalibrate the battery level metering.

Or do what I do. When I sit down at my desk in the morning, I plug it in, and stream music all day. By quitting time, it is fully charged and lasts throughout the evening/night if I need it. Next day, repeat. On the weekend, I'm usually out and about, and the iPad is home, on the charger.

Again, don't over-think, just enjoy!

Thanks very much, I will take you advise.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fiachrag said:
Is it bad to leave iPad 3 charging overnight?

No,the iPads built in charging circuitry will prevent any harm from leaving the iPad plugged into the charger after charging is completed.
Welcome to the iPad forums and don't hesitate to come back if you have more questions.

Fiachrag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
No,the iPads built in charging circuitry will prevent any harm from leaving the iPad plugged into the charger after charging is completed.
Welcome to the iPad forums and don't hesitate to come back if you have more questions.

Thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts