What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging questions...

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Basically there are two parts right?
1. The plug
2. The cable

My question is regarding using generic brands. In the past I have always only used genuine apple products to charge my iDevices. But does it really matter?

I have a lot of 5W and 10W plugs (apple brand). So really my question is regarding generic brand cables. Are they OK to use? Like the lighting ones from Amazon for a couple bucks each?

And while we're on the topic, what about generic brand plugs? Are they OK to use?

Thanks

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In my experience it's been hit or miss. I've had Apple cables crap out and after market ones that work fine. I've got several of the retractable unbrand cables that have last for a year or more.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, this has been a frequent question asked on the forum - seems that these inexpensive 'generic' plugs/cables can be a 'hit or miss' purchase - for myself, I stick to buying Apple accessories, just seem to work as advertised. You might want to search the forum for some more posts regarding this issue. :)

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For anything that may effect your device's hardware I only use branded products. That way you cover all eventualities in any warranty issues.

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
to use unofficial license apple product and it breaks your idevices would be very slim to none but the chance its breaking itself within months is pretty high thats why we always get mix opinions on this kind of acessories because their quality is like a time bomb except we dont know when its going to explode and destroy itself :p

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't believe using a non-Apple branded charger, on the whole, will lead to a damaged iPad. I have several non-apple chargers and they all work. I did buy one back in 2011 that claimed to be for an iPad but I later found it it only provided 5W (I used a Kill A Watt meter to measure it)...so I sent it back. I find that you do need to stay away from eBay...the % of crappy products is higher there. You can get some junk from Amazon, too, but they have a good return policy so overall it is the better way to go. Monoprice.com is a good source, too. If you read the reviews and buy from a manufacturer of note, then you can readily avoid issues. Making a charger isn't rocket science these days. Same for the cables, though some poorly made cables do exist. It's not a big deal to engineer a well made yet inexpensive cable, either. Just because Apple charges top dollar for a cable doesn't mean you cannot find decent cables for way less. But again, if you don't pay attention to the source, you can get burned. So, if you are not willing to do some homework and/or return something that doesn't work, stick with the Apple brand. It is the safer way to go.

Most reactions

Latest posts