What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging problems.

ashley69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any one having problems when plugging in cable to charge iPad via electric socket charger.
I keep having to unplug and plug in USB end till it eventually starts charging.
I have bought a new cable from apple but still the same.
Cheers
Ash

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Using the same cable, does it connect to the pc/mac fine? If so, then the socket plug, or whatever they call it is faulty, a connection inside has probably come loose.

- Sig - How to stop being notified of new posts, in the IPF app, goto the subscribed tab, then swipe left/right on the threads you no longer want to follow - I bleed in 6 colours

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would guess therefore that the charger piece has a faulty connector...
You shouldn't' have any problems like this if everything is OK.

OP
ashley69

ashley69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mmmmm. My charger was new so I did not think that would be the problem. Just had a closer look at the charger.
I may need to speak to my son very soon. Mine looks not very new.
Thanks for you replies.
Ash

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
The cheeky devil lol

- Sig - How to stop being notified of new posts, in the IPF app, goto the subscribed tab, then swipe left/right on the threads you no longer want to follow - I bleed in 6 colours

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine just started saying "not charging" when I plug it in. I unplug and plug a couple of times and it will charge. Weird.

jbcn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPAD stopped charging when plugged in to the IMAC

I know this is an old thread....but my latest glitch seems related....in the past few weeks, I have been having trouble with my IPAD charging when connected to the Apple Desk Top. If I dont watch it...it bleeds what little charge is left...down to zero. I am able to use the same charging/connecting cord to the AC plug and charge fully....and the cord is syncing and updating programs properly when connected to the computer.

Could perhaps this be a software glitch in IPAD 4.3.5 update? I also have no problem charging the iPAD using the car charger.

My IPAD is a year old and performs beautifully otherwise.

:confused:

Stuboat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jbcn said:
I know this is an old thread....but my latest glitch seems related....in the past few weeks, I have been having trouble with my IPAD charging when connected to the Apple Desk Top. If I dont watch it...it bleeds what little charge is left...down to zero. I am able to use the same charging/connecting cord to the AC plug and charge fully....and the cord is syncing and updating programs properly when connected to the computer.

Could perhaps this be a software glitch in IPAD 4.3.5 update? I also have no problem charging the iPAD using the car charger.

My IPAD is a year old and performs beautifully otherwise.

:confused:

My understanding that it doesn't work well to charge an Ipad on pc or mac.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The newer macs will charge iPad. Older macs and pcs will charge iPad through USB but it is VERY slow and still shows the "not charging" in the top.

jbcn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Appreciated. The problem persists however. I have used my fairly new IMAC OS X ver 10.5.8--2GHz Intel with 3GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM to charge the IPAD since purchased a year ago and it has worked perfectly albeit slow to charge (up to 10 hours for a low battery state)...but that worked well overnight....and now the IPAD starts to charge then stops charging at about 24% (while I am sleeping of course). In the morning, I have to use the wall socket charging adapter to fully charge it. Yes, I know the answer........so, plug it in to the wall socket charger. I still would like to know why the USB connect has stopped working as designed. I really don't feel it is worth a shop visit if that is all that is wrong. Any other ideas, let me know. Again, thanks.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The battery in any device begins to degrade over time, and the only proper way to charge an iPad is via a 10W power supply. I'm pretty sure your Mac does not have one. My new MacBookPro has one and it fully charges the iPad just like the wall charger.

So I'm afraid the short answer is still, you need to use the wall charger as that is the only proper way. You enjoyed a period where you could get away with a trickle charge, but the battery has likely degraded (which is perfectly natural) past a point where it can no longer support it...

Last edited:

Dailuo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I have exactly the same issue same version op system. And after looking at other places on line there are many others fighting the same stupid thing. After looking On the internet I think there is a real problem with the charging of the iPad from the beginning and no one is stepping up to fix. Finally I reset the ipad and reloaded everything it and it seems to be working "normal". With so much discussion and I see people trying all sorts of things it is a sign something isn't right. Charging your iPad should be the simplest thing and there should be no discussion about such a thing.

Last edited:

icebun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 2 iPads both on ios 5 both have the same charging issue.

For me, I have to unplug and re plug for it to work (usually on a different socket) when in the office.

When at home I get 100% success rate.

If anyone can shed some light on this it would be great.

jbcn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 2 iPads both on ios 5 both have the same charging issue.

For me, I have to unplug and re plug for it to work (usually on a different socket) when in the office.

When at home I get 100% success rate.

If anyone can shed some light on this it would be great.
===========================

Not sure if my fix will help....but I have continued my posts that it worked great once and now it doesnt and my IPAD is just one year old. I finally found the key to my issue of the IPAD not charging when plugged in to the IMAC USB overnight. When it stops charging overnight and hangs up at 24% or whatever. All I have to do is unplug the USB, go to settings on IPAD, Reset the IPAD, Restart to IMAC, plug it all back in, Synch the IPAD....and walk away. It charges perfectly until it doesn't...then you repeat the protocol to make it work again. While I appreciate the expert advice....it is not my battery depletion, it is not my non-10 watt IMAC power supply, and it is not the USB plug or cord. There is something wrong with the software compatibility or the "order of battle script"...because you can reset it, do a "repair disk" in hard drive utility, fix the permissions, do the IPAD routine as stated above....and "BINGO" everything recharges just like it did out of the box for a while. There is indeed something wrong with something in the charge permissions/protocol that backfires (crashes) and needs reset. I am not a software engineer nor an employee of Apple...but I know this is fixable. It just is!
If anyone can shed some light on the reason and champion Apple to address this officially...it would be great.[/QUOTE]

Most reactions