What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

charging issues

partin_us_99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so i got an ipad one given to me bc of water damage. Replaced the batteries with a new set restored and updated to 5.1.1 and it will not charge. It syncs and shows the trickle charge symbol but never charges past 1%. Ill include a pic but i have been searching high and low to no avail. 2013-01-02 09.01.22.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
partin_us_99 said:
also my chargers are all 5v 1 amp or less.

A normal iPad charger is 10 watts. Have you tried charging your iPad with one of those?

OP
P

partin_us_99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have a 10w charger. Figured my iPad 2's charger would work but even then my iPad original won't charge it says not charging while plugged into comp and 1% with the plug icon in the battery indicator.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
partin_us_99 said:
I don't have a 10w charger. Figured my iPad 2's charger would work but even then my iPad original won't charge it says not charging while plugged into comp and 1% with the plug icon in the battery indicator.

It's always possible that the battery has become defective, it may also be a problem with the connection between the battery and the charging socket.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
so i got an ipad one given to me bc of water damage. Replaced the batteries with a new set restored and updated to 5.1.1 and it will not charge. It syncs and shows the trickle charge symbol but never charges past 1%. Ill include a pic but i have been searching high and low to no avail.View attachment 32793

And since you started another thread, I am deleting the other thread since we do not want two similar threads open.

OP
P

partin_us_99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok skumonkey. scifan 57 the connection is good bc if there were not a somewhat decent connection it wouldnt run at all. Atleast the screen wouldnt power up. And it does it with the old and new battery so ik it's not the battery. Only culprit i can think of is the dock cable assembly the runs from the bottom to the logic board. Or not enough power from the charger. Trying to get a new charger to rule that out.

OP
P

partin_us_99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
to no avail ive tried resetting the connection on the battery to board tried every tip and trick to get this thing to charge looks like i've got a parts pad lmao

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

As scifan pointed out above you need to charge your iPad with a 10w charger. The reason for that is that a computer (other than some iMacs) simply does not provide sufficient charge through a USB port, other than a very low trickle charge which would seemingly take forever if at all.

You should not be using the USB connection cable to charge your iPad, but should be using the 10w charging cable connected to a home power point. You say you do not have that so you will need to buy, borrow or steal :p that vital gizmo.
Regards,Andrew

OP
P

partin_us_99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried a correct charger still Nothing. And apple won't even give me the time of day for less than 20 bucks

Sent from my GT-N7005 using Tapatalk 2

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, the iPad 1 (and 2) will charge (slowly) from a HIGH POWER USB port but not from a low power port. The iPad 3 and 4 will not really charge from a high power port, only the (2.1 Amp) 10 watt charger. The advantage is the 1 & 2 have about 1/2 the battery capacity of the 3&4. If your 1 isn't charging and the battery was replaced you may have damaged the circuitry that controls the charging and may not be able to charge. The other option may be the condition sensing system may be faulty.

OP
P

partin_us_99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea I'm guessing short circuited board and dock since This is a liquid damaged iPad.

Sent from my GT-N7005 using Tapatalk 2

Most reactions