What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging ipad in the car

terrorxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I all names terror I've noticed that when I plug the iPad into the car to listen to ie music videos it says not charging is there anyway to change that . ? Thank you for any responses

OP
terrorxx

terrorxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry forgot to mention I have the ipad2

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is the charger made for the iPad2? A standard usb charger does not put out sufficient current to cause the indicator to show a charge. The standard usb charger puts out about 1amp while the iPad2 car charger I have indicates 2.1 amps.

tatooki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yep, i know this is possible, i can find a charger for you, will post later, now something inconvenience.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've noticed that when I plug the iPad into the car to listen to ie music videos it says not charging is there anyway to change that . ?

I don't know if you can change the charing notification. However, lack of notification does not necessarily mean it is not charging. As posted by others, some charger put out less power than others. Sometimes, the iPad will not know it is charging on a low-powered charger. My suggestion is to ignore the lack of charge indication, use your existing charger, and listen to your music. If your iPad runs out of battery power under these conditions, then consider alternative methods.

iDuffer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to make sure you buy a car charger rated at 2.1 amps, for a iPad 2 fast charge to take place. I can recommend the Griffin GC23095.

Last edited:

Victoria R

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't met this kind of case, are you sure that you are right?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You need to make sure you buy a car charger rated at 2.1 amps, for a iPad 2 fast charge to take place. I can recommend the Griffin GC23095.

Agree! The charger that comes w/ the iPad provides 10W of power, basically 5V w/ 2 amps - if an adapter w/ say half that power or a standard USB port on a computer is used, the iPad will indicate 'no charging' - now, there actually is a smaller 'trickle' charge from these less powerful sources but the iPad does not indicate that event.

So, as already stated above, make sure that the charger you are using in your car is putting out 10W of power - appears that the recommended product by Griffin has that output - good luck! :) P.S. - welcome to the forum!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can use standard iPod car chargers, but they only trickle charge, so you'll get that message. If you want a faster charge, get an iPad-specific charger as mentioned. I can recommend the Griffin PowerJolt. I've used it for coming on two years, since iPad 1. I now use it to charge both iPad 1 and 2.

By the way, be careful about not buying the wrong one if you want the 10W one. Griffin and other makers use the same model name brands to sell both iPod and iPad chargers, I've noticed. But the packaging should indicate 10W or 2.1 amp.

Last edited:
OP
terrorxx

terrorxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all thanks for the reply yes the normal wire I got with the ipad2 does not charge through the stereo like a iPod touch or any other iPod does it just says not charging so what is it I actually need to get "? Thank you

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree. Tis one works very well with both my Ipad and Touch and I use it on long drive trips to keep both charged and working when needed.

I don't know if you can change the charing notification. However, lack of notification does not necessarily mean it is not charging. As posted by others, some charger put out less power than others. Sometimes, the iPad will not know it is charging on a low-powered charger. My suggestion is to ignore the lack of charge indication, use your existing charger, and listen to your music. If your iPad runs out of battery power under these conditions, then consider alternative methods.

Most reactions

Latest posts