What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging iPad 3 via USB

TooLowToZero

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, This is my first post. I have bought a iPad 3. When I plug the iPad into a USB on my windows pc, it says that the iPad is not charging? Is this normal? I am using a lightning connector. Thanks. Jeff... UK

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes it's normal. The charge however is very little so you're only getting a trickle. I suggest charging it via a wall outlet with the wall charger.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, This is my first post. I have bought a iPad 3. When I plug the iPad into a USB on my windows pc, it says that the iPad is not charging? Is this normal? I am using a lightning connector. Thanks. Jeff... UK

Welcome to the forum Jeff. What iJamesH above said is spot on. You will need to use the charging 10amp cable supplied with your iPad to effectively charge your machine. Just a small point to digress: the lightning connector came in only with the iPad4. You and I are still enjoying that nice, soon to be classified as Heritage Listed 10 pin cable on our iPad3
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
TooLowToZero said:

It's trickle charging at a rate too low to activate the charging icon. Charging in this manner could take well over a day. This is why we recommend that you charge your iPad with the supplied charger. P.S., if you're using a lightning connector, you have an iPad 4, not an iPad 3.

OP
T

TooLowToZero

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I assumed I had the iPad 3? But I could be wrong. It has the same connector as my iPhone 5, same cable. Just bought iPad and ip5 at Christmas. How long has the iPad 4 been out?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TooLowToZero said:
I assumed I had the iPad 3? But I could be wrong. It has the same connector as my iPhone 5, same cable. Just bought iPad and ip5 at Christmas. How long has the iPad 4 been out?

Well that's a bonus, you definitely have the iPad 4.......!

The Archangel

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
TooLowToZero said:

It was released in November at the same time as the iPad mini. And, yes, if your iPad has the same charging connector as your iPhone 5, it's an iPad 4, not a 3.

ajricaud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One option you can look at is an application from your motherboard maker to increase the amperage on the USB ports. MSI has one called Super-Charger and I believe Gigabyte has one also.

OP
T

TooLowToZero

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well pleased with that! I found it surprising as I bought it in my local ASDA/Walmart store.

Could I ask a extra question? Do they make a car charger for the iPad 4 and does the car charger for the iPhone 5 do the same job.

Thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
TooLowToZero said:
Well pleased with that! I found it surprising as I bought it in my local ASDA/Walmart store.

Could I ask a extra question? Do they make a car charger for the iPad 4 and does the car charger for the iPhone 5 do the same job.

Thanks

The car charger for the iPhone 5 will charge the iPad 4, but at a much slower rate, due to the much larger battery of the iPad.

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Thanks

You need to look for a charger that has a higher output.....
Get a car charger that supplies 5v at 2.1a
The iPad 4, comes with a 12w mains charger.

Most reactions

Latest posts