What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging in South Africa + a paradox

Moonpowered

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am planning a trip to South Africa soon and I'm wondering if an iPad purchased in the USA can be plugged directly into an outlet in South Africa.

Also, paradoxically, my iPad will not allow me to type in this box so I had to use my computer to post this message. Anybody know what's up with that?

Thanks.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the forum!

As far as taking your iPad to South Africa, the charger that came with your iPad should work since it is rated to work on voltages from 110 to 220, but you will need to find the proper adapter to make the plug fit in the outlet. Apple sells a World Travel Adapter Kit Apple World Travel Adapter Kit - Apple Store (U.S.) that should work almost anywhere in the world (but at $40 is a bit over priced, I think) When I went to Eastern Europe, I went to Amazon and bought the plug adapters for only a few dollars each. Be sure just to get the adapter plugs that convert our plug to the style used there and NOT a voltage adapter.

As far as not being able to post here with the native Safari browser... that is why most people end up buying a 3rd party browser that allows you to "spoof" the website into thinking you are using another browser. One of the more popular browsers is called Atomic and costs a whopping 99¢!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm interested as to why several Forum members have reported difficulty in typing in to the Forum websites text boxes using their iPad and Safari. What is happening here? I type all my posts using my iPad and the native Safari browser and I've never experienced any problems at all. Is this a configuration issue? Something bizarre to do with the network connection? (I use WiFi and 3G).

I'm just fascinated by such unexplained anomolies, so sorry to ramble on so much.

Tim
Scotland

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I type all my posts using my iPad and the native Safari browser and I've never experienced any problems at all.
Tim, your iPad is clearly defective and you need to run straight away to your Apple store and exchange it for a proper iPad!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now I know why you're the President of the National Sarcasm Society!! Going back to the problem, though. I do have to 'touch' the Forum text box window twice, the first time nothing happens, the second time it let's me type.....

Tim
Scotland

OP
M

Moonpowered

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you!

Thank you for your prompt replies, the helpful information, and the smile.

:)

Most reactions