What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging icon gone and no connection to PC

Top Cat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone help on this one? All of a sudden my PC doesn't detect my iPad and the charging icon doesn't come on...all I get is "not charging" however it does charge...I have tried different cables, different PC 's etc

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone help on this one? All of a sudden my PC doesn't detect my iPad and the charging icon doesn't come on...all I get is "not charging" however it does charge...I have tried different cables, different PC 's etc

The normal USB cable from your PC won't charge your iPad 'normally' and it displays 'Not charging'. The iPad charger can charge at 2 amps - four times as much as a 'normal' USB charger (500 mA)...sorry for the brief reply - I'm on my way to my son's engagement party - .....

Tim
Scotland

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried the soft/hard resets, I can't remember which threads but Tim has described the process on a number of other threads over the past few days.....a little bit of searching will definitely find it.

The Archangel

OP
T

Top Cat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes tried the hard & soft resets, plus using the 10w iPad charger which was fine until yesterday. The only abnormal thing that happened yesterday was a high temp warning when using it in the sun...was wondering whether this is connected to the problem....

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There have been a few reports on the Forum concerning faulty chargers - so, potentially, that could be the problem.

For sure, the high temperature warning might stop the iPad from charging. The iPad has an 'intelligent' charge control system that monitors a whole range of parameters, including the battery temperature.

Let us know if, after the iPad has cooled down, it charges OK.

But - high temperature in Crawley?? Is that Crawley, UK?? :)

Tim
Scotland

OP
T

Top Cat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Surprising as it was, yep - we had sun!

Still no different - I guess I can survive with the 'Not Charging' but actually charging scenario, it's not being able to connect to the PC that's the real problem. Thanks for your help thou.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Surprising as it was, yep - we had sun!

Still no different - I guess I can survive with the 'Not Charging' but actually charging scenario, it's not being able to connect to the PC that's the real problem. Thanks for your help thou.

There have been a few reports on the Forum recently of faulty USB/charing cables. You don't have another one that you could try, by any chance?

Tim
Scotland

OP
T

Top Cat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim. Have tried a number of different cables and chargers....

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One last suggestion - have you tried a 'reboot' rather than a hard/soft reset? With the iPad turned off, press and hold the Power and Home buttons for about 60 seconds (yes, you read that right!) until the white Apple logo appears. Then the iPad will reboot - takes a while, so have patience.

OK - OK - it probably won't work, but I'm running out of ideas and saying 'Take it to the Apple Store' seems like a failure on my part....

Tim
Scotland

OP
T

Top Cat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim ...went to shop...it seems the high temp has done something to the connector. Great service as always and have new iPad...just wished I'd backed up earlier!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great to hear you got it fixed. I'm still stunned by 'high temperature' in Crawley, though! Sorry about the backups - almost by definition all backups are too late....

Nice to have a new iPad though.....

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts