What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging cable?

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi guys, bought this set of charging cables, 3ft, 6 ft and 10ft. The 3 footer seems to charge it just fine, the longer ones, it says accessories not supported, and won't charge. Which charging cables would you recommend longer than 3ft? thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys, bought this set of charging cables, 3ft, 6 ft and 10ft. The 3 footer seems to charge it just fine, the longer ones, it says accessories not supported, and won't charge. Which charging cables would you recommend longer than 3ft? thanks
Are these unofficial third party cables not authorized by Apple? All authorized third party cables intended for the iPad should have this logo on the package.
5DD693E5-0FC3-4E84-8A8F-6161E771FCFB.png

The accessories not supported notification is because the cables in question do not have a valid authentication chip. Original cables and authorized third party cables have these chips.

These authentication chips are designed to limit the number of counterfeit accessories that are being sold.

It is recommended that you only use original or authorized charging cables on your iOS devices.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi Hunter - there are only opinions based on experience that can vary widely - I've bought many iPad/iPhone cables over the years and failures are common regardless of length and brand - tossed out many, especially those my wife have bent at the lightning connector. The ones sold on the Apple Website (or their stores) are expensive ($29 for a 6-footer) and the reviews there are rather poor - one would think that Apple would 'get it right', but apparently not - :confused:

Now, I buy most of my cables from Amazon and largely base my purchases on the reviews there, which can still vary widely; the 'Amazon brand' cables seem to receive better ratings (as shown below, last image), so you might want to look at those offerings. Otherwise, read the comments carefully - obviously the pricing is MUCH better than quoted at Apple (e.g. 3-4 'other' cables vs. 1 Apple cable) - but expect to be disappointed occasionally, unless you're one of the lucky buyers - my 2 cents worth. Good luck - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 4.12.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 4.13.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 4.18.23 PM.png

OP
H

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I shop mostly on amazon as well, and thorough read reviews before buying. I'll try different ones..thanks guys

Most reactions