What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging an i pad

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If i am using the I Pad with it connected to the power adaptor/charger des it still discharge depending on the use I am giving it?

It does say"not charging" but could it be discharging in some cases whist in use?

i2030

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You iPad charges because it is plugged in and it discharges because you are using it. They make up for each other :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If i am using the I Pad with it connected to the power adaptor/charger des it still discharge depending on the use I am giving it?

It does say"not charging" but could it be discharging in some cases whist in use?

Yes, depending on what app you are using. If you are using something that doesn't use much RAM or processor, like a reading app, the charger will keep up with the use. However, if you are using a game app with heavy graphics and such, the charger will not "feed" the iPad faster than it will use the power/charge. So, you will see it lose charge while using it.

Note that the "not charging" notice is from when you have the iPad plugged into your computer. In that case, it still is charging - but it's a tiny trickle charge. So, try much any use of it will drain the charge. Because, for all intents and purposes, that charge is so small as to be non-existent. For charging purposes, it's best to use a wall/mains outlet.

Marilyn

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you are trying to charge it while plugged in to desktop PC then look fo,r and download, ASUS Ai Charger. It does some sort of magic to your PC and will charge your iPad as well, or almost as well, as the iPad wall charger.

I have no idea how it works and was skeptical when I first tried it. I now have it installed on my home desktop, netbook, laptop and office PC.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And if you are charging it with a charger designed for a phone it only supplies half the current. It will charge, but with use while charging you will still run the battery down, just a lot slower than normal.

OP
T

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the posts suggest that depending on what use the I Pad is being put to, it could be discharging whilst plugged in, does that mean that it could reach a point where even plugged into the power adaptor it would stop working?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep. You can run an app that will draw more power than the charger can provide. So, you'd have to keep an eye on it if you are running a RAM/video intensive app.

Marilyn

OP
T

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had always considered that the power adaptor would supply power no matter what you were doing?
I have many items that have a power adaptor. Camera, laptop etc etc.
Are you suggesting that you could reach a situation where the I pad would not work when connected to the power adaptor?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had always considered that the power adaptor would supply power no matter what you were doing?
I have many items that have a power adaptor. Camera, laptop etc etc.
Are you suggesting that you could reach a situation where the I pad would not work when connected to the power adaptor?

Which iPad are you using? The 3nd and 4th generation iPad drain power down quickly because the screen is a big drain. And that is simply a matter of how bright the screen is. If you lower the brightness, then the draw will be less and the charger can keep up better. Then there is also the question of what your iPad is doing while you are charging it. If you play a graphics intensive game, that will work the internal CPU/GPU, then again the iPad might draw more power and the charger may or may not be able to keep up (it still have to run the screen too). With the 1st and second generation iPad, and also probably the mini, the charger keeps up better because those screens don't have so many pixels and also they have less powerful CPU/GPU. So the answer depends. But yes, with the 3rd and 4th gen iPads, the charger may not be able to keep with with your usage and you can actually drain the battery while it is plugged into power. That means you need to manage your usage and charging. Many people charge the device while sleeping or when not using the iPad, so for most people, there is no issue.

OP
T

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks fr all the advice but I think my question still remains unanswered.

Perhaps if I explain better.....
I start up my I pad (3rd gen! And it shows say, 20% battery level....
If I plug it into my adaptor will there come a point where it may shut down.
I realise it continues to drain but I thought the adaptor supplied power to allow you to use it (whilst plugged into a power source£, no matter what?
Surely the I pad will ALWAYS work whilst plugged in and connected to a power source?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I realise it continues to drain but I thought the adaptor supplied power to allow you to use it (whilst plugged into a power source£, no matter what?
Surely the I pad will ALWAYS work whilst plugged in and connected to a power source?

No, that won't be the case. The iPad is always powered by its own battery, so there has to be some charge in it. Simply plugging it into an outlet will not supply the iPad with power.

Sent from my stock iPad 2

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Your question was answered. If you drain energy from the battery faster than you can supply it, the iPad will lose charge and shut off. It is not a device designed to run without a battery.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another way to look at it; You can fully charge your iPad, unplug it, use it heavily and you will drain it in less than 10 hours. You can take a drained iPad, with the 2.1 Amp charger (the big one) and it takes 10 hours or more to charge if you are not using it at all. You can see that you are able to drain the battery faster than you van fill it back up. It is kind of like a bathtub, you can fill it with the stopper in, you can drain it without running the water and it will empty. You can also turn the water on and pull the plug and the tub will empty even though you are trying to fill it as fast as you can.

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One way to see how much you are draining would be to make a note of the % battery left and plug it into your wall charger

Then while still connected to your wall charger use your ipad heavily for an hour. Maybe open the number of apps you often keep open, do a bit of web browsing, check emails and play an intensive game or two

Now disconnect the Ipad from the charger and look at the % battery power on your Ipad.

If the % is higher than it was before you plugged it in and started using the ipad then you are not draining the battery more than the charger is adding.

If the % battery power is lower then you know you are using more battery power than is being input by the charger.

OP
T

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All great answers.

I was always of the opinion that the charger could by-pass the battery and supply power.
Many items I have work that way ( I think )

Most reactions

Latest posts