What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

charger?

xgamma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I got my iPad in Hong Kong, but I live in North America. The charger that came in the box had 2 parts. One that the USB cable goes into, and the other that plugs into Hong Kong sockets.

Since I'm back in NA now, I bought a charger at Apple, and it came with the piece that the USB goes into, the plug for north american sockets, as well as a cable that can be put into the USB piece and plugged into a NA socket.

What I'm wondering is, are the pieces the the USB plugs into of the chargers the same for the Hong Kong iPads as the North American iPads? If they are, in essence I now have 2 usable chargers, since I can keep one with the cable plug, and one with the wall plug...right?

Thanks!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I got my iPad in Hong Kong, but I live in North America. The charger that came in the box had 2 parts. One that the USB cable goes into, and the other that plugs into Hong Kong sockets.

Since I'm back in NA now, I bought a charger at Apple, and it came with the piece that the USB goes into, the plug for north american sockets, as well as a cable that can be put into the USB piece and plugged into a NA socket.

What I'm wondering is, are the pieces the the USB plugs into of the chargers the same for the Hong Kong iPads as the North American iPads? If they are, in essence I now have 2 usable chargers, since I can keep one with the cable plug, and one with the wall plug...right?

Thanks!

Yes - the iPad charger is universal and can work in any country in the world. And - unless your charger is very different from mine - it's really in three parts and not two.

You have the USB cable and the charger..but that charger is really in two parts because the plug 'part' of the charger is detactable so that you can adapt it (with an appropriate adaptor) to any country in the world. Your local Apple store sells an 'International Adaptor Kit' that contains power outlet adaptors for most every country in the world. So you could, for example, take your HK 'charger', remove the power outlet adaptor, (is slides off - you need to look carefully but once you've done it, it's obvious - as usual with the benefit of hindsight!). Then you could swap the power outlet adaptor from HK to your NA charger.

So you really *do* have two chargers now......

Tim
Scotland

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got a $0.99 socket adapter off Fleabay, which solved the problem for me.

OP
X

xgamma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks!

Yes - the iPad charger is universal and can work in any country in the world. And - unless your charger is very different from mine - it's really in three parts and not two.

You have the USB cable and the charger..but that charger is really in two parts because the plug 'part' of the charger is detactable so that you can adapt it (with an appropriate adaptor) to any country in the world. Your local Apple store sells an 'International Adaptor Kit' that contains power outlet adaptors for most every country in the world. So you could, for example, take your HK 'charger', remove the power outlet adaptor, (is slides off - you need to look carefully but once you've done it, it's obvious - as usual with the benefit of hindsight!). Then you could swap the power outlet adaptor from HK to your NA charger.

So you really *do* have two chargers now......

Tim
Scotland

Yeah, I wasn't counting the USB cable as a piece, so that would make it 3. I just wanted to make sure the charger part was universal and that I could slide in the NA power outlet adapter into the HK charger and there would be no issues in using it.

Thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts