What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charger broke off in dock

Jolene51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am so upset. I bought a new ipad 4 16gb in January. I am so careful with it you can imagine how upset I was to find my charger had broken off inside the dock. I paid for AppleCare when I bought it, but Apple tells me it only covers hardware and I must have abused the ipad. I looked on the web and this is a common problem with the new charger style on the ipad. They wanted $299 to fix it!!!! I took it to a repair place here in Springfield MO and they charged me $75 with genuine Apple part. AppleCare is worthless and a rip off. And AT$T were deceitfull in telling me I needed the AppleCare as it would cover it if it was dropped or got wet.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am so upset. I bought a new ipad 4 16gb in January. I am so careful with it you can imagine how upset I was to find my charger had broken off inside the dock. I paid for AppleCare when I bought it, but Apple tells me it only covers hardware and I must have abused the ipad. I looked on the web and this is a common problem with the new charger style on the ipad. They wanted $299 to fix it!!!! I took it to a repair place here in Springfield MO and they charged me $75 with genuine Apple part. AppleCare is worthless and a rip off. And AT$T were deceitfull in telling me I needed the AppleCare as it would cover it if it was dropped or got wet.

This sounds odd to me. An iPad is hardware. I assume you broke the end of the charging/sync cable inside the lightning connector, right? Where on the web did you see this as a common problem? I don't recall seeing or reading about lots of people here having this problem. So what did they fix for $75 on an iPad 4?

Apple care + is suppose to cover accidental damage, but there is a per incident fee of $50 and you can only use it twice during the two year period.

Did you actually take your iPad to an apple store?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed, AppleCare+ covers up to two cases of accidental damage. The damage to the dock should have been covered.

Most reactions