What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 4 in the UK Launches On-Demand iPad App

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
channel_4_on_demand.JPG

Great news for iPad owners in the UK today as Channel 4 launches its “4oD Catch Up†iPad app. The app has quickly shot to the top of the Free Apps chart in the UK iPad app store, and joins the BBC’s iPlayer iPad app as the only other on-demand TV app in the UK. According to Tech Radar, the app is initially sponsored by Heineken, and is therefore free to download, but for a limited time only. The app appears to be almost identical to the online and PSN versions, and features a selection of shows from Channel 4, E4 and More4. Unfortunately the app excludes archive shows, and, annoyingly, shows from the US, which explains why I couldn’t find The Event or Brothers and Sisters on there. Boo! Channel 4 says that it is working on getting the archive programmes onto the app soon, so hopefully we might one day see the US shows on there too. As some Channel 4 shows can be a little racy to say the least, parents will be glad to know that the app has a parental control feature where you can set one of two PIN levels to prevent the viewing of all 16+ rated content or all 18+ rated content, or both.

If you’re in the UK, click here to download the free app: 4oD Catch Up for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Source: 4oD comes to iPad, Xbox Live to follow? | News | TechRadar UK

marktasker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
So since the app is sponsored, does that mean it is legal to use it without having a TV license, or is that still required?
You only need a a TV license if you are watching broadcasted programs as they are broadcast.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
So since the app is sponsored, does that mean it is legal to use it without having a TV license, or is that still required?

Hmm, interesting......as it's not live TV, in that they are transmitting a mass broadcast, it isn't the same as normal broadcasting and although I'm not clear on the law here I would say you don't need a TV license however, that has nothing to do with the sponsorship. TV license funds go to the government and sponsorship goes to the TV company so no amount of sponsorship will ever replace the licence.

I think that the government will need to revisit the licensing laws as new technologies make the situation as clear as mud.

The Archangel

Reaction score
This app completely screws up the audio of other apps.

When I am running Radio, streaming to an APE, then start watching a TV show, does the radio continue streaming, but the tv plays as well, except that it plays sound directly on the iPad. Now when I want to stop the Radio, does it instead starts playing the radio locally, as well as over the APE. I can't stop the Radio streaming to the APE, as long as the the app is running, without closing the radio app. Totally weird to listen to radio twice, but with a 2 second delay due to the streaming.

FruitJuice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could you not just create an account (free) and log on to t.v catchup and watch nearly all freeveiw channels

Wifi connection is a must with this mind

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pwned Pak said:
Could you not just create an account (free) and log on to t.v catchup and watch nearly all freeveiw channels

Wifi connection is a must with this mind

Another good website for viewing content, however with an app like 4od, you are not restricted to timetables of shows, you can watch them when it suits you.

OP
M

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
You are welcome! I've been waiting for it too, just wish they had the US shows, then it would have been perfect!

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maura said:
You are welcome! I've been waiting for it too, just wish they had the US shows, then it would have been perfect!

Atm if i had to watch 4od, it wasvin the laptop, also 4od channel on youtube is great, alas its no good for the ipad due to flash. Anyway l
Tried to download this app but seems itunes busy so could not connect. Will try again soon, cant wait to check it out. Every time i used bbc ipad player, i asked when will chanle 4 do an app player for the ipad

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good karma said:
Atm if i had to watch 4od, it was in the laptop, also 4od channel on youtube is great, alas its no good for the ipad due to flash. Anyway l
Tried to download this app but seems itunes busy so could not connect. Will try again soon, cant wait to check it out. Every time i used bbc ipad player, i asked when will chanle 4 do an app player for the ipad

nezing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Downloaded the 4oD app to my ipad 1, (ios 4.3.2) about two hours ago,and simply followed the registration instructions.Picture quality is great.Just watched Time Team :eek: Configuration is easy,and I had no buffering or stuttering,over my "home wifi connection".I can watch 4oD over my tv of course,but hey,this works a treat.

Most reactions