What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing Owner of iPad

bikerart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife gave me her iPad, she got a Playbook. My question is, how do I get her name off the computer and have it show as my iPad.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't do this on the iPad itself; it can only be done during a sync operation using iTunes on your PC. When you're synchronising your iPad you can see the name of the iPad in iTunes on your PC. Change it there to its new name and, when the sync is complete, the iPad will have 'inherited' the new name that you gave it on your PC.

Tim

OP
B

bikerart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I will try it tomorrow and let you know how it went.
A

OP
B

bikerart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim

I got on iTunes and d/l the update to the iPad but I could not figure out how to change the name of the iPad. I could see the name,I searched all over and could not find a way into it.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bikerart said:
Tim

I got on iTunes and d/l the update to the iPad but I could not figure out how to change the name of the iPad. I could see the name,I searched all over and could not find a way into it.

When you connect to the PC, in the right hand pane of iTunes you will see your iPads name, click on it and type the new name in.

The Archangel

OP
B

bikerart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK I finally got it thanks to both of you.

Now for a tougher one( for me that is) I would like to delete all my wife's information on the iPad. plus, get this to d/l all of my stuff on my iTunes. I tell you, the Apple support FAQ and the help list sure does not bring up any answers for my ?'s. I put something in the search bar and "help" always brings up some off the wall answers that do not pertain to the query.

So now Linda and I have names on this iPad, and that isn't quite what I wanted.

I am having trouble authorizing this PC for my iPad. This is how I have been spending my evenings since I got this.

I have to get this set up for me alone b4 I go out on the road for a month.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bikerart said:
OK I finally got it thanks to both of you.

Now for a tougher one( for me that is) I would like to delete all my wife's information on the iPad. plus, get this to d/l all of my stuff on my iTunes. I tell you, the Apple support FAQ and the help list sure does not bring up any answers for my ?'s. I put something in the search bar and "help" always brings up some off the wall answers that do not pertain to the query.

So now Linda and I have names on this iPad, and that isn't quite what I wanted.

I am having trouble authorizing this PC for my iPad. This is how I have been spending my evenings since I got this.

I have to get this set up for me alone b4 I go out on the road for a month.

Do you have separate iTunes accounts or do you share an account........if separate then you can restore then set up using your account, it will then have only your stuff on it. If you share an account then it's just a matter of setting the sync options in iTunes (when you are connected) to sync only the items that you want.

How have you both got names on the iPad, the iPad is a single user device.....when you changed the name in iTunes did you delete your wife's name before typing in your own? I am quite confused by what you are saying!

You say you are having trouble authorising your PC for your iPad? Again, I am a bit confused, do you mean authorising your iTunes account on your PC or it isn't recognising your iPad? If you changed your name for the iPad then it must be connected and recognised.....are you talking about a different PC?

If you can provide more details about what you are trying to do, what is happening when you connect and if you are using different computers then we can probably sort your problems out.

The Archangel

OP
B

bikerart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now I am confused.

Let's just take the restore part. I get all these warnings about losing all my media and purchased items if I continue the restore.

Will it back up everything or will I lose everything? I am afraid to do the restore as I understand it.

ITunes has Art's iPad as the name, but in the left column I did see where both of our names were there. But that doesn't affect anything, I don't think.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bikerart said:
Now I am confused.

Let's just take the restore part. I get all these warnings about losing all my media and purchased items if I continue the restore.

Will it back up everything or will I lose everything? I am afraid to do the restore as I understand it.

ITunes has Art's iPad as the name, but in the left column I did see where both of our names were there. But that doesn't affect anything, I don't think.

Ok, it doesn't matter what the iPad is called so don't worry about that.

If you have anything on your iPad that isn't in your iTunes make sure that you do a full back up before restoring. See here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

Once it's in your iTunes it's safe (I always preach backing up your PC/mac to an external drive).

Then you can restore your iPad safely.

The Archangel

OP
B

bikerart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got it all done. Did the restore, checked the boxes that needed to be checked and BAM everything downloaded to the iPad.

Apple has a very sorry "help" on iTunes. Boy, I use the forums everywhere to help me out from PC'S to motorcycles.

5 Star Kudos to you, thanks a ton.

bikerart

Nancybout

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Awesome advice on here!!
I am very curious about battery life,can we use it while charging,can we put it in the charger when It's at lest say 60%%???Or always let it drain tl he mst you can handle without worrying??
I would ,assume charging it n keep it charged is The way to go,but I heard ppl say opposite?!!!'

TIA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
No problem using it when charged. The advice I've seen is that at least once a month do a full cycle charge, ie drain to 0% and then charge back unto 100% other than that your ok.

Edit: you should really have started a new thread or found a more appropriate one as your query has nothing to do with the rest of the thread.

Most reactions