1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Changing icons for Glass Orb theme

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by verbalj, Aug 30, 2011.

1. verbalj

verbalj iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    In var/stash/Themes.xxx/Glass Orb_iPad.theme, there are three folders: Bundles, Folders, UIImages.

Normally, when I'm changing icons on the iPhone/iPad, I usually drop the correctly-named icon into the Icons folder. Apparently, I showed my age when I asked the theme creator where the hell the icon folder is. He says that the old-school way of theming. Instead, I should drop the icon into the Bundles folder and follow the format there.

For example, if I want to change the Winterboard icon, I would drop the new icon here:

var/stash/Themes.xxx/Glass Orb_iPad.theme/Bundles/com.saurik.WinterBoard

The only problem is, the icons are not changing. If the icon is named WinterBoard.png, or icon-72.png and/or icon.png (so that it's consistent with every other Bundles folder for the other apps), after respringing, the changes don't take effect. I don't remember the icon size off the top of my head, but I know it was matching the other custom ones that came with the theme.

What am I doing wrong?
  2. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    Try with an AppStore app. Not a cydia or default app.
  3. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,732 / 0
    Icon naming is a very picky thing with the iPad. Doublecheck the name of the icon in the actual application file. For example, to find the proper name for the WinterBoard icon, look in (in iFile) the file: /Applications/WinterBoard.app.

You've got to make sure both the icon is named correctly and that the folder you place it in is named correctly. You can't go with "standard" or "conventional" naming - or by what other icons are named. You've got to use the icon name that the application uses - else it won't work. I have found there is zero consistency in icon naming...

For example, the Winterboard icon is titled icon.png and it's located within the folder com.saurik.WinterBoard (you can find each folder name by looking at the CFBundleIdentifier name within the application's .plist).

Once you have the correct icon and folder name, then you can drop it in the .../Bundles part of your theme.

To continue with the WinterBoard example, your file address for the icon will be: var/stash/Themes.xxx/Glass Orb_iPad.theme/Bundles/com.saurik.WinterBoard/icon.png

Note that you'll have a bunch of folders in the Bundles folder of the theme. That's cause they all have to be in their own folder - the icons can't be in Bundles alone (man, I hope that sentance makes sense!).

I've noticed that sometimes I have to (1) respring, (2) reboot or (3) check on/check off the theme (respringing in between) for the change to take affect.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

Marilyn
  4. verbalj

verbalj iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks for the response. Good call with checking the plist for the folder's name. Maybe I was a character off.

I'll give this a whirl and see how it goes when I get home from work.