What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing icons for Glass Orb theme

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In var/stash/Themes.xxx/Glass Orb_iPad.theme, there are three folders: Bundles, Folders, UIImages.

Normally, when I'm changing icons on the iPhone/iPad, I usually drop the correctly-named icon into the Icons folder. Apparently, I showed my age when I asked the theme creator where the hell the icon folder is. He says that the old-school way of theming. Instead, I should drop the icon into the Bundles folder and follow the format there.

For example, if I want to change the Winterboard icon, I would drop the new icon here:

var/stash/Themes.xxx/Glass Orb_iPad.theme/Bundles/com.saurik.WinterBoard

The only problem is, the icons are not changing. If the icon is named WinterBoard.png, or icon-72.png and/or icon.png (so that it's consistent with every other Bundles folder for the other apps), after respringing, the changes don't take effect. I don't remember the icon size off the top of my head, but I know it was matching the other custom ones that came with the theme.

What am I doing wrong?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Icon naming is a very picky thing with the iPad. Doublecheck the name of the icon in the actual application file. For example, to find the proper name for the WinterBoard icon, look in (in iFile) the file: /Applications/WinterBoard.app.

You've got to make sure both the icon is named correctly and that the folder you place it in is named correctly. You can't go with "standard" or "conventional" naming - or by what other icons are named. You've got to use the icon name that the application uses - else it won't work. I have found there is zero consistency in icon naming...

For example, the Winterboard icon is titled icon.png and it's located within the folder com.saurik.WinterBoard (you can find each folder name by looking at the CFBundleIdentifier name within the application's .plist).

Once you have the correct icon and folder name, then you can drop it in the .../Bundles part of your theme.

To continue with the WinterBoard example, your file address for the icon will be: var/stash/Themes.xxx/Glass Orb_iPad.theme/Bundles/com.saurik.WinterBoard/icon.png

Note that you'll have a bunch of folders in the Bundles folder of the theme. That's cause they all have to be in their own folder - the icons can't be in Bundles alone (man, I hope that sentance makes sense!).

I've noticed that sometimes I have to (1) respring, (2) reboot or (3) check on/check off the theme (respringing in between) for the change to take affect.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
verbalj

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Icon naming is a very picky thing with the iPad. Doublecheck the name of the icon in the actual application file. For example, to find the proper name for the WinterBoard icon, look in (in iFile) the file: /Applications/WinterBoard.app.

You've got to make sure both the icon is named correctly and that the folder you place it in is named correctly. You can't go with "standard" or "conventional" naming - or by what other icons are named. You've got to use the icon name that the application uses - else it won't work. I have found there is zero consistency in icon naming...

For example, the Winterboard icon is titled icon.png and it's located within the folder com.saurik.WinterBoard (you can find each folder name by looking at the CFBundleIdentifier name within the application's .plist).

Once you have the correct icon and folder name, then you can drop it in the .../Bundles part of your theme.

To continue with the WinterBoard example, your file address for the icon will be: var/stash/Themes.xxx/Glass Orb_iPad.theme/Bundles/com.saurik.WinterBoard/icon.png

Note that you'll have a bunch of folders in the Bundles folder of the theme. That's cause they all have to be in their own folder - the icons can't be in Bundles alone (man, I hope that sentance makes sense!).

I've noticed that sometimes I have to (1) respring, (2) reboot or (3) check on/check off the theme (respringing in between) for the change to take affect.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

Marilyn

Thanks for the response. Good call with checking the plist for the folder's name. Maybe I was a character off.

I'll give this a whirl and see how it goes when I get home from work.

Most reactions

Latest posts