What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing from ipad 3 to ipad Air

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ok, daft questions time

I have an iPad 3 which is backed up on my PC. I will be getting an iPad Air this week and giving the iPad 3 to my technophobe husband

Question 1 - when I get the new iPad do I use the PC backup to put everything on it?

Question 2 - how do I use the PC to back up two iPads?

Told you they were probably daft questions but if anyone can give me step by step instructions I would really appreciate it

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ok, daft questions time

I have an iPad 3 which is backed up on my PC. I will be getting an iPad Air this week and giving the iPad 3 to my technophobe husband

Question 1 - when I get the new iPad do I use the PC backup to put everything on it?

Question 2 - how do I use the PC to back up two iPads?

Told you they were probably daft questions but if anyone can give me step by step instructions I would really appreciate it

No daft questions, here - just ones to help someone clarify procedures. So, keep asking away... :)

To answer these,

(1) Yes. Make a backup of the iPad3. When you get the Air, connect it to iTunes and then, when prompted, tell iTunes you want to use that backup on the Air (you'll get a series of prompts to help you do this). When iTunes is done, you will have the Air exactly like the iPad3, except well, it'll be an Air. :D

(2) iTunes will automatically identify the two iPads separately for you; it will keep them straight. You could also name the two devices differently so you can remember which is which more easier.

Regardless, iTunes will know the difference and will show them as different when they are connected.

The only thing you will have to do is remember what the names are (if you stick with the iTunes automatic naming).

Congrats on the new iPad Air! Hope you have fun with it.

Marilyn

OP
darkangelwitch

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you Mickey, put my mind at rest on how to change to my new iPad when it arrives.

Naming is easy, old one in hubby's name, new one in mine

Most reactions

Latest posts