What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing battery in 2nd-Gen iPad Pro 12.9"

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Has anyone yet had to do this or does anyone know if this is something that a user can do?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Has anyone yet had to do this or does anyone know if this is something that a user can do?

Hi Padcatt - just curious why you feel the need to change the battery in your iPad Pro 12.9" - might impact the responses posted, not sure?

Now, I've never tried to 'fix' an iPad but have looked at a lot of iFixit Guides - first, the cost of a replacement battery is shown below; of course, this does not include the purchase of a number of specific 'tools' that will be needed. Finally, take a look at the video showing replacement of a battery on a similar smaller iPad Pro - for a novice, the procedure looks rather daunting and likely prone to a lot of mistakes if done by someone for the first time.

Apple's iPad repair costs listed HERE for 'out of warranty work' are really steep although will presumably be done well and have a warranty. Also consider a local reliable repair service which might be a much less expensive option? Hopefully, others w/ actual experience will 'chime in' with advice. Good luck - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 5.23.18 PM.png

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Padcatt - just curious why you feel the need to change the battery in your iPad Pro 12.9"

I didn't express a feeling that I needed to.
I am asking about something which I may want to do in future.

Thank you!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I didn't express a feeling that I needed to.
I am asking about something which I may want to do in future.

Thank you!

No problem - just thinking that one might only tackle that job in dire necessity - :D

Well, seems that iPads were never designed for 'easy' repair w/ all of the glue, tiny screws, numerous small and often hidden connections, etc. Good luck 'in the future' - :) Dave

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No doubt. The thinner and sexier the device case is, the less easy for the consumer to gain access to the inside. I changed the battery on my wife’s ipod (wheel, “soap bar” design). Initially, daunting. After I did it, no big whoop, and the battery came with the most important tool: the spudger.

I’m hoping that some people here have actually replaced a battery on an iPad Pro - successfully - and can talk about pitfalls, easy parts of the procedure vs tricky parts.

or...it might be “if you dont Have the xyz tool, don’t even bother.

Most reactions

Latest posts