What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing Apple ID

DeniseB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone help me? I had used my work email as my Apple ID (stupid, I know), and I had had a personal email as my rescue ID. I just changed my rescue ID to another personal email address, but I am prevented from now changing my primary ID to the former Rescue mail address. I tried this in settings (for Apple store) and also at appleid.apple.com

Nothing is working. It displays my new 2ndry email as rescue, but keeps rejecting the personal email address, claiming that it's still the rescue email. Seems like it's a cache problem somewhere. I cleared cookies and history, but it's still not working.

I'm doing all of this via my iPad2.

Any suggestions?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried setting up a gmail account and using that as your AppleID?

I've never tried changing my primary email address so I don't know that it's even possible.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
DeniseB

DeniseB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got an answer from Apple support. It involved logging into the AppleID.Apple.com, and then proceeding to "Password and Security", instead of to the "Manage Your Account", which is where I'd always gone. I was successful in changing my rescue email through the Password & Security page, saved it, and then went on to the Manage Your Account page, where I was ablt to change my primary Apple ID to the new email address that I wanted. NOW, the problem is that I don't know how to change my iPad to use the new email address as my Apple ID. The Apple store doesn't appear to have a place to change it, and the Settings tool doesn't either (ugh).

OP
DeniseB

DeniseB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I poked around and found a thread online. The thing to do is to go to Settings, select Store, click User ID, then Sign Out, then Sign In with new email as Apple ID. This worked

Most reactions

Latest posts