What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

changing an apple id

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'm buying a 3 and giving my 2 to my son. it has some very good paid4 apps on it, but he wants to have his own apple id.

whats happens if he changes the id on the 2? i know he will no longer be able to sync to itunes withthe id currently on the 2.
can he still use the paid4 apps on that 2?
if he syncs to his new apple id will that disable the paid4 apps?
can he back those paid4 apps to HIS OWN cloud account, change the apple id, and sync the cloud apps back onto his ipad2?

etc etc? what will be the ramifications of changing the 2's apple id?

thx

idea2real

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no problem . It will keep both APPs , normally you should not use itunes to sync, you can just install from APP store .

OP
A

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no problem . It will keep both APPs , normally you should not use itunes to sync, you can just install from APP store .

i figured anything to do with syncing would not work since the paid4 apps are registered under my id, but does that mean he can't back the paid4 apps in icloud since he will create his own icloud account?

idea2real

iPF Noob
Reaction score
he can create his ID . iPAD will keep both Apps . even you APP was deleted , you just need to sign in from iPAD , you can download again freely . and after that you can switch back to your son's ID . I use this All the time

OP
A

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so he can do the same with updates? switch back to the original apple id, update the apps, and switch back?

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so he can do the same with updates? switch back to the original apple id, update the apps, and switch back?

You don't have to switch IDs to update on the device itself. It will prompt for the password of your account on his device when it needs it for an update :)

Also, as long as the iTunes library he is syncing with is authorized with your account it will sync apps from both accounts without any problems.

Most reactions

Latest posts