Change Display Name in OutGoing Email

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by naman919, Feb 10, 2011.

1. naman919

naman919
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hey,

I searched and couldn't even google how to do this.

I like to have the outgoing name on all my email devices show up the same.

I have two Gmail accounts setup on the ipad via exchange method. How can i edit the display name that shows up when i send emails to people. I use my middle name on my android phone and the ipad only displays my first and last.

I"m sure it's a simple fix. Can anyone help me? TIA.

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    You can try this.

Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendar >> Select the Account (name@mail.com) >> Account >> Mail: Then change your name in the Name field. That is for a MobileMe account. You may run into the Name field sooner in other account types, and I can't find the name field in the Exchange type account at all.

#2 twerppoet, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  3. naman919

naman919
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the response but no luck.

anyone else have ideas? I can't be the first one that has this question/issue. I would really like to edit my outgoing display name so there isn't a difference between my email responses from my phone and the iPad.

4. Wakawaka

Wakawaka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Your display name..

I'm pretty sure it's controled by your email service provider.. you'll need to go into THEIR settings and change the display name

For exmaple, when you setup a new Gmail account, it asks for some basic information. you put in your name, and others who recive your email will see wahtever name you put in there.

The computer, iPhone, blackberry, ect are only 3rd party devices to receive/distribute email. They do not fully control privacy/service/spam, ect.

5. naman919

naman919
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    no that's not entirely true, ex. the fact I'm emailing from my iPad with the same gmail account I email with on my phone. they have different display names.

my full name is displayed when sending via my phone or the gmail site and would like to be able to include it from the ipad as well. the iPad is only using my first and last name. no idea why.

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    One last though. Have you tried changing you name in the Contacts app.

Find your own entry in Contacts and chose Edit. Scroll all the way to the bottom and add new field. Choose Middle and enter you middle name.

If that doesn't work, I give up.

#6 twerppoet, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  7. naman919

naman919
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    **edited** I just tried the above and my middle name is already there. I have no idea how to fix this but it annoys the crap out of me. I hate that when i look at threads that it is obvious when i'm sending from another device. I really want to keep the display name the same so people won't constantly think i'm switching devices, when i am.

**edit 2** I even logged into my mobileme account and added my middle name. Still no luck.

here's a picture of my test to show you what i mean:

[​IMG]

#7 naman919, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  8. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    I don't have an iPhone so I don't really have any way of experimenting, and since I'm out of ideas, browsing though both devices and experimenting is the only thing I can think of.

Of course, you could reverse the solution. See if you can change it on GMail and the iPhone instead of the iPad. Besides, showing your middle name make you look like you're applying for a government job or something. :D

9. naman919

naman919
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    no iphone here either. it's an android phone. screenshot was from the ipad.

anyway, the reason i use my middle name is bc i have a traditionally female first name as a guy and a bland last name.

when emailing new people it's more upfront when i include my middle name. They suspect a guy after that.

But i DID think to reverse the situation and just edit it the other way around, but i would really prefer to keep my middle name visible. jmho.

10. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    I did a little more playing around. I had my GMail account set up as an Exchange account, but I switched it back to a standard GMail account, just so I could play.

Under Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendar >> GMail (account) >> Account >> Name. Whatever I set this name to is what shows up as the from name in my emails when they are received.

I set up GMail as an Exchange account so that I could do contacts and multiple calendars. The normal account only allows the primary calendar and email. I'm getting around this now by turning off Mail syncing in the Exchange account and turing off everything but Mail in the GMail account settings. Another words I'm using two account entries for Google. Seems to work, as long as I'm careful not to cause conflicts.

This was necessary because the Exchange settings did not let me enter a user name. Instead it displayed my gmail address as the user name. I could not find a way around this.

So, Maybe this helps, and probably not.