What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CHALLENGE - iPad1 is recognized by computer but not itunes

bucaneer97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to the forum but I have a challenge for all 'experienced' iPad/Apple users. I have a jailbroken iPad1 running 4.3 iOS that I cannot update/sync at all. I am at the point that I dont care if I lose everything on the iPad as long as I can update/reinstall everything later (even if I lose a few apps here and there). Data at this point is not my concern.

Here is my problems:

1.) The iPad is not being recognized by my iTunes.
- I have a Macbook Pro and an iMac. One is running Snow Leopard the other Lion. Neither Works.
- I have tried many USB cords. All work with my iPhone but nothing works with my iPad.
- I have successfully had other iPads recognized by my computer.
- Both are running the most current version of iTunes (updated both yesterday).
- I have actually removed the Apple Mobile Devices (blah blah blah) as the Apple forums suggest and no success.

Before you suggest my iPad USB connector is bad here are a few things that make me believe this is NOT the case...

2.) The iPad WILL charge via a wall connector
3.) If I power the iPad off and then plug it into either computer via USB then the iPad comes on as if it is recognized by the computer but iTunes never opens and never recognizes my iPad. Of course it does not charge the iPad but if it was not recognizing the iPad it would never power on.
4.) I have been able to connect to my iPad via SSH connection using CyberDuck so I know the USB cord is working and the connection from my Mac Book and iPad are good.

I am hoping ANYONE can help me. My iPad is near HD compacity and I need to clear songs off and everything so I can install more apps.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've moved this to the Hacking section, where I think it will receive better attention.

Tim

OP
B

bucaneer97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y - Thanks for the reply. I was looking at that post before (very detailed) to see if I had tried that. Apparently I had tried the recovery mode but not DFU mode. In looking over the thread - is there a way to 'know' did get my iPad in DFU mode or just a way to know if I did NOT get it in DFU mode?

Another question on clarification - after 10 seconds when I release the power button - do I need to hold home for another 5 seconds (so the total time is 15 seconds) or do I need to hold the home button for an additional 15 seconds after releasing the power button?

Lastly - if the iPad gets into DFU mode and is not recognized by iTunes is there any help here?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just carry on holding the button for about another 15 seconds.

The screen will stay blank if you are correctly in DFU mode.

IF iTunes still does not recognise the device then you HAVE got a bad dock connecter. Remember, those things have 30 pins, and they are all used for something different. Just because it charges, does not mean you don't have a broken pin. It honestly sounds to me like you do...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, above, you say you are SSH'ing to the iPad via Cyberduck over USB? How? What do you have installed on your Mac to allow that? I didn't think you could natively SSH over USB... Are you sure you are not doing it over wifi?

OP
B

bucaneer97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently charge the iPad with a Belkin USB cord that was purchased with a Belkin wall charger. It charges my iPhone and iPad but it has never worked for syncing.

Unfortunately, I appear to have been able to get the iPad into DFU mode and it still is not recognized in iTunes.

You are also correct - I am connecting via SSH using CyberDuck over Wifi. I dont know why I thought I was required to have the USB connected for that.

An iPad cannot be charged by a desktop or laptop correct? So if I power the iPad down and then connect the Apple issued USB cord to the iPad and my macbook and it powers the iPad on can my dock connector still be damaged?

Is there a way to have a dock connector repaired? If I took the iPad to Apple is this something they would fix (it is out of warranty with no Apple Care)?

Most reactions

Latest posts