What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Certain Apps opening and just closing right away

GadgetRick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This evening I went to open an app and it opened and closed right away. I've seen this before so I just restarted the iPad. Same thing happened. So I tried another app...same thing. And another...same thing. Most of my apps will not stay open once they're launched. All of the Apple apps work fine. The apps which don't seem to work are not terribly useful apps (games, ESPN Scores, Level, etc.). It's very strange. Can't figure out why this is happening.

I haven't added any apps in the last few days and this just started (this badly) this evening. I did recently update the software but everything worked fine after that until this evening.

I've got an original iPad.

Thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I see you restarted the iPad. Did you close out all the applications in the multi-tasking bar (double click home button, close the apps that then show)?

Also, after the delete action(s), did you try a reboot? To do (just in case you don't know): Hold both the sleep and Home buttons until the screen goes dark and the white Apple logo appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. Note that the wait for the logo and then for your homescreen to appear may take a while - but it will happen.

The above is generic help. If it doesn't help, we'll need more specific info from you: what iPad do you have (1, 2, 3G), what iOS version are you running, are you jail broke and, most important, what did you do just before the behavior started.

Given that, I am sure that someone on this forum will be able to help.

Marilyn

OP
G

GadgetRick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see you restarted the iPad. Did you close out all the applications in the multi-tasking bar (double click home button, close the apps that then show)?

Also, after the delete action(s), did you try a reboot? To do (just in case you don't know): Hold both the sleep and Home buttons until the screen goes dark and the white Apple logo appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. Note that the wait for the logo and then for your homescreen to appear may take a while - but it will happen.

The above is generic help. If it doesn't help, we'll need more specific info from you: what iPad do you have (1, 2, 3G), what iOS version are you running, are you jail broke and, most important, what did you do just before the behavior started.

Marilyn
Thanks. I did all of that and still a no-go. :(

I have a 32GB Wifi 1st Gen iPad with vesion 4.3.5 (8L1) on it.

I didn't do anything before this started, that's what's so strange. I had gotten home from work and turned it on and this was happening. I've had it happen before with one app but, when I'd restart, it would fix it.

I'm lost on this one.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - I've heard of this happening a couple of times before. Choose an app that's not too important (though, it actually doesn't matter which one you choose) and delete it. Then re-install it again. You'll not be charged whatever app you choose - even if it's a paid one.

(If you don't know how to delete an app, then press and hold any icon on the Home screen until they all start to jiggle, then press the top left hand corner of the icon. You'll be asked to confirm that you want to delete the app).

If this doesn't work, get back to us - the difficult problems are the more interesting ones!!

Tim

OP
G

GadgetRick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. Actually just did that with Pandora and Pandora is now working. I got this iPad from my friend and some of the apps he install led and I don't know his password. I think all of them are free though so I can just reinstall.

Jut concerned as to why this hapepened.

joellegk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cannot keep apps open - even to reinstall a deleted one

I have a iPad 1.0 and today, all of a sudden, Mail and AppStore will not stay open. I have tried everything on this forum except that I cannot reinstall BizInsider because the AppStore will not stay open. Ideas?

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had this happen once or twice on my iPad 2. Don't know what causes it but when it's happened I have just killed the app from the task bar and it's reopened fine the second time.

djiki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - I've heard of this happening a couple of times before. Choose an app that's not too important (though, it actually doesn't matter which one you choose) and delete it. Then re-install it again. You'll not be charged whatever app you choose - even if it's a paid one.

(If you don't know how to delete an app, then press and hold any icon on the Home screen until they all start to jiggle, then press the top left hand corner of the icon. You'll be asked to confirm that you want to delete the app).

If this doesn't work, get back to us - the difficult problems are the more interesting ones!!

Tim

Hi, I have an iPad2. After I upgraded to iOS5, this issue started.. some apps open and close in a sec.. I have hard re-booted and have done everthing you mention apart from re-installing the app. Any other way to figure out why this happens without having to re-install?
Thanks

agencius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe a backup to your computer and total re-install would be worth it. If you do so, please let us know if it helped or was too painful. My iPad 1 had some issues, but after doing a full upgrade to iOS with backup, it seemed better. Now with iOS 5 the problem seems to have returned to a limited degree. My thought is a possible connection to the underlying file system corruption with the error masked as a quit by iOS.

Anyone out there know the real story from the inside out?

raymondjouwena

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GadgetRick said:
Thanks. Actually just did that with Pandora and Pandora is now working. I got this iPad from my friend and some of the apps he install led and I don't know his password. I think all of them are free though so I can just reinstall.

Jut concerned as to why this hapepened.

Same situation here.... Mine started crashing when one of my app asked for an update though. Think that that may cause the problem?

fand2nd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Appreciation

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,
I found your contribution to be helpful alot.. After I closed all the open applications and reboot my Ipad, i was able to access the applications that wont open for long before...
Thanks again & cheers.
Fanda.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i too have had this happen. uninstalling and reinstalling or a fresh boot usually works. this has only happened since iso 5 update. not all the time, but enough to be noticable. also, shutting down certain apps still open in memory helps. dunno why, but conflics happen not allowing me to do things. it most noticably happens with bbc iplayer. shut down apps still open you're not using.

elgranpagan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4/7/2016
Hello
I have an older IPAD using IOS 9.3.1
I have been using Pandora. I noticed that the IPAD has problems connecting to wifi. I had some problems using pandora before because of a weak wifi signal. However, I resolved the signal issue. Now, whenever I launch pandora, It opens, then immediately shuts down. I read thru the posting to try other apps, which I did and they all work fine. Any suggestions on how to fix this shut down issue with Pandora? I uninstalled it and reinstalled it twice. Still the same.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
4/7/2016
Hello
I have an older IPAD using IOS 9.3.1
I have been using Pandora. I noticed that the IPAD has problems connecting to wifi. I had some problems using pandora before because of a weak wifi signal. However, I resolved the signal issue. Now, whenever I launch pandora, It opens, then immediately shuts down. I read thru the posting to try other apps, which I did and they all work fine. Any suggestions on how to fix this shut down issue with Pandora? I uninstalled it and reinstalled it twice. Still the same.
Welcome to iPad Forums, elgranpagan!

There seems to be a problem with Pandora. I've found several other reports, saying that the app crashes, or that the service is not available online.
Try contacting the developer or visit their site and contact them this way.

Most reactions

Latest posts