What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cellular/ wifi switch

ercsliberty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
any one know of an app than will switch between cellular covrage and wifi, on ipad2? thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
any one know of an app than will switch between cellular covrage and wifi, on ipad2? thanks

If you go into the iPad's 'Settings' menu you can easily turn either WiFi or 3G on or off. I've not heard of an app that can do this but I would think it would almost be more trouble to fire up that app than to click Settings and choose.

Also, remember the iPad will *always* choose WiFi if both 3G and WiFi are available, if that's what was behind your question.

Tim

OP
E

ercsliberty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, you wrote "Also, remember the iPad will *always* choose WiFi if both 3G and WiFi are available, if that's what was behind your question."
but when thyre both on, i see both of the icons on the top of the screen. how do i know which data is the pad using?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, you wrote "Also, remember the iPad will *always* choose WiFi if both 3G and WiFi are available, if that's what was behind your question."
but when thyre both on, i see both of the icons on the top of the screen. how do i know which data is the pad using?

It's in the iPad manual - it says that the iPad always uses WiFi if it's available. It shows the 3G symbol, but you'll see the WiFi signal fan and that's your assurance it's using WiFi. If there's no signal fan there then it's using 3G.

Tim

OP
E

ercsliberty

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It's in the iPad manual - it says that the iPad always uses WiFi if it's available. It shows the 3G symbol, but you'll see the WiFi signal fan and that's your assurance it's using WiFi. If there's no signal fan there then it's using 3G.

Tim

got it, thanks for the answer

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's true, almost too true. The other day I had a very weak wifi connection and was trying to send an email. It wouldn't go out due to the weak signal but the iPad wouldn't click over onto 3G. :D I turned off wifi and the message went right away. :) It's so easy to get to settings that I don't think a separate app is needed. Do you know about the double-tap trick with the home button?

Most reactions

Latest posts