What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catch 21 . . .

creekfella

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My recently acquired iPad 2 is great (I have compensated for the absence of Flash with Splashtop) but I have a problem with my carriers security procedures that someone my help me with?
I was aware that I had poor outdoor G3 availability at my home but as I planned to make use of my broadband Wi-Fi at home that was not anticipated to be a problem.
Finding that I could not send SMS's of make calls (I received messages that the number I was calling was not valid) I attempted to register with the carrier via my Lappie; entered the iPad 2's mobile number and the last 6 chars of my SIM card as asked and I was informed that they had texted my password to my iPad despite the fact that I could not get at it! I rang them to ask if they could send it to me by email or to my old non G3 mobile. No I was told. The password was generated within their computer and no one to get at it or change the address to which it was sent. Security!
Customer Services says it seems that my only solution is to get hold of a G3 phone; find somewhere with a G3 signal; request a new password then put my iPad 2 SIM card in the phone and await the password text. Armed with that I should then return the SIM card to my iPad 2 and complete my registration so that I can use my iPad to make calls and send/receive texts.
It is not possible to register via Wi-Fi on my iPad or Laptop it seems. Do I really have to do that? Is that why you all seem to have iPhones as well as iPad's? Perhaps I should have purchased a G3 Android phone instead?:mad: Apols for the rant!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This sounds like Orange to me and several Members have had the same problem. But if you persist and tell them you're posting your observations on the largest iPad site in the world, they soon get the message.

Tim

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
You can't send SMS or make calls anyway, at least not without jail breaking. It's nothing to do with your provider.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can make calls and send SMS with the free VOIP app Talkatone. Good for Canadian and U.S. numbers. No jail breaking required.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
I stand corrected (I'm in the uk) but that's still nothing to do with his provider? Or do you need to set this up with your provider, in which case if the op had stated the service he was trying to use it would have helped diagnose.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can make calls and send SMS with the free VOIP app Talkatone. Good for Canadian and U.S. numbers. No jail breaking required.

I don't think this will work because they send it - over GSM mobile network - to the mobile device that contains the SIM card to be authorised. VoIP apps will not work because they will not receive an SMS sent over the GSM network to the mobile device.

Tim

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I don't think this will work because they send it - over GSM mobile network - to the mobile device that contains the SIM card to be authorised. VoIP apps will not work because they will not receive an SMS sent over the GSM network to the mobile device.

Tim

I'm suggesting that OP might try an alternate approach (an app) if he can't do what he's set out to do. If there's a U.S. / Canadian app, there might be one across the pond, too? iPads weren't meant to replace cell phones, so you have limited options if you want to call and SMS.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The trouble he faces is that Orange insist on sending the SMS over the Orange mobile network to the mobile device with the SIM card in that needs authorising.

But a little gentle 'persuasion' has helped them reveal the magic authorisation code over the 'phone.

Tim

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The trouble he faces is that Orange insist on sending the SMS over the Orange mobile network to the mobile device with the SIM card in that needs authorising.

But a little gentle 'persuasion' has helped them reveal the magic authorisation code over the 'phone.

Tim

I'm not clear on why Orange needs to be involved, but maybe the UK works differently? In the U.S., activating Talkatone doesn't require getting a carrier to authorize your SIM card.

OP
creekfella

creekfella

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks for the observations! No it's not Orange.
Must admit to a little self doubt here. I thought that I had read somewhere that the iPad was compatible with Messenger but did not look into it enough. The Yahoo version appeared to do everything that I wanted but it was only after I installed the App (thankfully free) that I discovered that calls/text was not available in the UK. Is that 'cos the UK providers have sewn it up?
Suppose I'll have to put my purchase of the iPad down to experience and now get an iPhone; then an iPad 3; then an iBroke! Seriously, do I now go for an iPhone 3GS, a 7 or the Android such as the Galaxy S II? Thanks again for the comments.
Have a good day!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks for the observations! No it's not Orange.
Must admit to a little self doubt here. I thought that I had read somewhere that the iPad was compatible with Messenger but did not look into it enough. The Yahoo version appeared to do everything that I wanted but it was only after I installed the App (thankfully free) that I discovered that calls/text was not available in the UK. Is that 'cos the UK providers have sewn it up?
Suppose I'll have to put my purchase of the iPad down to experience and now get an iPhone; then an iPad 3; then an iBroke! Seriously, do I now go for an iPhone 3GS, a 7 or the Android such as the Galaxy S II? Thanks again for the comments.
Have a good day!

The Yahoo Messenger app offers SMS in the U.S., so maybe that's where you read it? I've used it a lot from Asia to my brother in the States, too. I think I installed it while stateside, and it definitely didn't require any kind of carrier password, either when I use AT&T in the States or 3 in Asia. It's free for the app and to use, from my experience, but I use unlimited data in both places.

Last edited:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Yahoo Messenger app offers SMS in the U.S., so maybe that's where you read it? I've used it a lot from Asia to my brother in the States, too. I think I installed it while stateside, and it definitely didn't require any kind of carrier password, either when I use AT&T in the States or 3 in Asia. It's free for the app and to use, from my experience, but I use unlimited data in both places.

This is what I use on my iPad and my computer. I talk to folks all over the world.

No carrier, no fee. Been using it for years.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts