What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Case to hold iPad 2 and apple keyboard?

PeterFrand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently received an iPad 2 wifi and Bluetooth keyboard for it from my work. Carrying them both together is becoming cumbersome because they are 2 separate pieces. I have seen many cases on amazon that essentially turn the iPad into a laptop and was wondering if there was one that would hold my existing keyboard and iPad in that laptop form.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is at least one from "TrendyDigital." You can find it on Amazon under the product name "PadGear." Cannot vouch for the quality of the case but it does accommodate the Apple Wireless Keyboard. As you are probably aware, the most popular solution is to use the Incase "Origami Workstation." It's a keyboard case designed to hold the Apple Wireless Keyboard and "unfolds" to provide a stand for the iPad in either horizontal or vertical orientation. Of course, that doesn't solve the problem of having two pieces. Those of us who use the OW/AWK combination usually have a small case (mine is the Travel Express case from Waterfield Designs at sfbags.com) that holds both the iPad and the AWK in the OW. It's a relatively expensive solution but very nicely designed.

You're also probably aware of why the kind of case you're looking for is hard to find. The Apple Wireless Keyboard is significantly wider than the iPad. So a case designed for the iPad cannot accommodate the width of the AWK. Personally, I don't like keyboards that are shrunk to the size necessary to fit into a case for the iPad and I have doubts about the feel and durability of those keyboards.

Jeemy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a bag from Tom Bihn called the copilot, it has to be ordered with the cache sleeve for ipad but fits perfectly. It will also hold the silicon keyboard/case which you can find on amazon, there is one called luvmac but i ordered the cheaper chinese version which works brilliantly for occasional use and has the advantage that with a screen protector it makes the ipad into a waterproof computer, perfect for urgent work stuff when i am windsurfing. Heavy users might find the silicon keyboard a bit unresponsive but the copilot bag is a really top end solution. There are two versions of the silicon keyboard/case, one has a bit of leather that protrudes out the front, which is the one i got - i now wish i got the one without - the former snaps shut but if you are keeping it in a bag the folio style one is fine.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tom Bihn and Waterfield Designs are among the best "bag" manufacturers. I'm fortunate enough to live in Seattle where Tom Bihn manufactures its bags and sells them in an attached retail store on Wednesday afternoons and occasionally on Saturdays. Plan to stop by this Saturday to check out some of their bags.

PTLinsongz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Targus Citygear MIni for IPad and netbooks. It is small and holds everything and more.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Worth noting that I believe the OP is looking for an iPad "case," not a "bag." The two are frequently confused in these forums.

pcoleman721

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pelican i1075, it holds The iPad, keyboard, transformer, and cables. It is waterproof and when the iPad is in the easel, it is similar to a laptop computer.

Jeemy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@jsh as i read it, OP was looking for something for carrying not using. As it happens i suggested both but i certainly wont bother in the future.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@jsh as i read it, OP was looking for something for carrying not using. As it happens i suggested both but i certainly wont bother in the future.

Jeemy,

Please don't take offense at my comment. I certainly didn't mean it that way. I've just noticed that the term "case" is frequently used to refer to two completely different types of products. You may well be correct in your interpretation of the OP's requirements and I may be wrong. Just trying to avoid confusion in the use of the terms.

Jeemy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Jeemy,

Please don't take offense at my comment. I certainly didn't mean it that way. I've just noticed that the term "case" is frequently used to refer to two completely different types of products. You may well be correct in your interpretation of the OP's requirements and I may be wrong. Just trying to avoid confusion in the use of the terms.

But...but....a case has no handle and may indicate use in-place, a bag is just for carrying and probably has a shoulderstrap. Nonetheless if somebody wants a case a bag may do and vice versa. He wanted something that would take a pad and kb i suggested both bag, case, and a combi with built in kb. Was somewhere i thought i could help instead of just lurk and looking back at it I still dont see why you felt it necessary to shoot me down. For the op do note the bihn insert comes out seperately and is tough as boots but holds pad only.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But...but....a case has no handle and may indicate use in-place, a bag is just for carrying and probably has a shoulderstrap. Nonetheless if somebody wants a case a bag may do and vice versa. He wanted something that would take a pad and kb i suggested both bag, case, and a combi with built in kb. Was somewhere i thought i could help instead of just lurk and looking back at it I still dont see why you felt it necessary to shoot me down. For the op do note the bihn insert comes out seperately and is tough as boots but holds pad only.

My apologies. Again. I didn't mean to "shoot you down." I was simply trying to draw a distinction that is often lost in these discussions. In fact, I didn't even cite your post in mine. I'm puzzled as to why you took my comment personally. But in any event it wasn't meant to criticize your post. Peace.

agencius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone have an iPad 1 original with keyboard dock (the one that plugs in) or iPad 2 and keyboard dock from Apple with case suggestions? Thanks for some of the notes above. It will be interesting to compare notes on them of course.

Most reactions

Latest posts