Case for 12.9 2018 with Pencil 2

Discussion in 'iPad Pro Forum' started by Diane B, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Diane B

Diane B
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    i have searched everywhere and no cases except Apple’s keyboard and folio allow for the Pencil 2 charging and storage while use. I wanted a ZUGU (Use w/a Logitech keyboard) and discovered that their 2018 wouldn’t work so they are redesigning to accommodate Pencil 2 charging. I understand that the Pencil must magnetically connect at the side/top on the Ipad edge and it appears that Apple surprised the case mfgs with the new charging for the Pencil 2 and none of them that I can find allow for that. I’m uncomfortable with n9 case so if anyone has any ideas how to protect the 2018 until more cases become available, please advise,

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    You could get a small netbook sleeve and keep it in that. Won’t protect it in use, but will work when you put it away or carry it.

3. Diane B

Diane B
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Thanks twerpoet. i actually have one about that size so guess I will do that. Hoping Zugu gets it right after redesign that I can use in lap or with Logitech keyboard at desk/table. I also have the Logitech Slimcase keyboard case for the gen 1 12.9 and like it fairly well because you can pull the Ipad with back and kickstand off the keyboard and use separately. It just appears that though case mfgs got the size and ports right they missed knowing about the wireless Pencil charging.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    No problem. It should not be a long wait.

5. MCube74

MCube74
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Get a case for 12” notebook or MacBook. Should fit fine.

I got one for like US $12 at a store in Hong Kong.

6. Diane B

Diane B
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Zugu, which is my first choice, says they have redesigned with a tube on long side where you will be able to connect, charge and store—available 12/14 or thereabouts. I bought the Apple folio after dragging out my old cheap folio and finding it works okay for the time being. I will probably eventually add a Zugu after I see several months of use with the Pencil without issues.

7. Diane B

Diane B
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I broke down and bought the Apple folio. The Zugu case I would really like won’t be available until January sometime—and because of the redesign due to the Pencil, I want to see how people feel about usage of the case. The folio is not the best one for me—I use the Ipad and type on it too in my lap—a lot. It works great at a table or desk with my Logitech BT keyboard however. It also is not good if you use the Pencil a lot—esp. in lap again—its just not the right angle even when you turn it around for what is referred to as typing angle—I tend to use it with a Techmatte stand that allows any angle.

8. dhbailey

dhbailey
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I bought the Ztotop case and it works very well. The pencil is able to attach and charge, the cover has the magnets to turn the iPad on and off when opening or closing the case, it looks very nice, comes in 4 colors (mine is brown leather), costs around $25 at Amazon. I was hoping for a case in which the iPad can rotate to be used in either portrait or landscape mode, but am so happy with this case which allows me to use my collapsible iKlip stand for portrait mode that I may not invest in another case. While it has the side completely open to keep the pencil attached using the magnets, there is also a loop to hold the pencil more securely if desired. Inside the fold-back cover is a hand-loop to facilitate holding the iPad. All in all a very well thought-out and very affordable case.

9. Diane B

Diane B
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I actually liked that ZtoTop case but needed at least one or two more angles—and liked the idea of the loop. i wish someone would make a case with several angles that uses the same technique as the Apple folio with the magnets holding it on the back of the Ipad—like that which allows for quick removal instead of clipping it into a more rigid case on back.

10. Diane B

Diane B
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I keep looking at this case and the only thing keeping me from ordering is whether the lowest angle is low enough to type comfortably on the screen. I do use a separate Logitech keyboard some at a desk but often type on the screen in my lap—and use the Pencil a lot also—photo apps for masking/selection, notetaking, annotate pdfs, etc. It appears it would have enough of a base to be balanced so its just the angle.

I’ve also looked at the ProCase which is similar but several people mention that the holders around the bezel make it very difficult to use the swipe up from the bottom in landscape—the Ztotop does not look as though that would be an issue at all.

Thanks for any comments.

#10 Diane B, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018