What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Case / covers / skins

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Considering that this is being used to protect an electronic product that will be outdated in 2-3 years, it will not be used long enough for it to degrade. Just doesn't make sense to me to spend the kind of money on the so called genuine leather product when in reality, most of us will have moved on to another electronic device by the time "genuine leather" has had time to develop a patina or weather-in".

Not quite true. I've had a leather cover from Oberon for my iPad for about six months now, which is constantly in use (it has flown with me over 40,000km around the world) and already it has acquired the characteristics of leather usage and has a very satisfying texture to the touch which it did not have on day one. The way that genuine leather will season with use is one of the reasons why leather owners pay a premium to enjoy the product.

As to longevity of the device, it depends on the individual. If you're constantly planning to upgrade (or even upgrade every other version), then of course you need to consider how much you want to spend on accessories. The main advantage of PU or synthetic leather is that it costs less (although not that much less, looking at some of the Belkin, Targus, etc products) but that's about it, I think.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[Yeah, I'm aware of the delay but I'd rather wait. I like the look of the Portenzo than Treegloo. All good things for those who wait. :D

Fair enough. When I was considering my first Moleskine-style case, it came down to Treegloo vs Portenzo, but what closed the deal for me was Treegloo's price and customization options.

I've continued to look at Portenzo every now and then, because they would be my fallback option if any problem ever occured with Treegloo. (For a time I was even thinking of their stingray leather...) However, Treegloo has proven to be a trustworthy brand and their customer service is first-rate, and obviously they've continued to innovate, now with their improved Series 2 cases.

knhellesky

iPF Noob
Reaction score

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This one is like leather and protects front and back and snaps onto iPad 2 not just slide into the side. It's made by AYL but used to be YooBao. I bought it last weekend and just arrived. I have spent months trying to find a case I would be happy with. Check it out. In tried to find some reviews but you can just google AYL 5-in-1 carbon. BTW it feels and looks like leather with suede inside.

I can post some pics if interested.

Amazon.com: AYL (TM) Water and Scratch Proof 5-in-1 High Quality Premium Carbon Fiber Case Folio with built-in Stand for Apple Ipad 2nd Generation Tablet/wifi 3G Model 16gb, 32gb, 64gb (Black): Electronics
I have the Targus Pivot Vu and at first glance they look almost identical. The Targus has the same cutout, the same corner clips and the same cover clip. The Targus at Best Buy is 39.99 plus tax. Did Amazon charge tax or shipping?

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have our Targus pivotVU for about two weeks now. I am curious about the real need for additional thin film protection over the really tough Gorilla Glass?

jimmy4fingers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the zagg armor on for like a week and took it off and returned it it just seemed to sticky when you slid your fingers on the screen it's so much better with out it in my opinion

4nefertiti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madhatter61 said:
I have the Targus Pivot Vu and at first glance they look almost identical. The Targus has the same cutout, the same corner clips and the same cover clip. The Targus at Best Buy is 39.99 plus tax. Did Amazon charge tax or shipping?

Amazon does not charge tax most of the time. I don't believe there is a shipping charge but I'm not sure since I have an Amazon prime acct (free 2 day shipping on Amazon stocked products).

dwcleck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What proof do you have of these specs?

The YooBao/AYL is made from PU (polyurethane) leather, which is a low-cost leather-lookalike. While it includes discarded parts of low-grade hide in its manufacture, it doesn't retain any of the characteristics of genuine leather like developing a patina over time or weathering-in. (In fact, in some places, it is not legal for it to be described or sold as "genuine leather".)

This brings the cost of the product down, and in a very tentative sense it is has "genuine" leather - in the same way, I guess, some sodas or fruit juices claim to have "genuine fruit ingredient".

Considering that this is being used to protect an electronic product that will be outdated in 2-3 years, it will not be used long enough for it to degrade. Just doesn't make sense to me to spend the kind of money on the so called genuine leather product when in reality, most of us will have moved on to another electronic device by the time "genuine leather" has had time to develop a patina or weather-in".

dwcleck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad you like it too

I actually do not like Amazon that much but could not find this particular case anywhere else. But I sure tried. I notice now they increased the price vguess everybody started ordering. When you receive will you post here what you think? I still cannot believe how nice this case is. I get compliments every day. ;)

NAYo2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually do not like Amazon that much but could not find this particular case anywhere else. But I sure tried. I notice now they increased the price vguess everybody started ordering. When you receive will you post here what you think? I still cannot believe how nice this case is. I get compliments every day. ;)

Can you please post some pics/vids. I can't seem to find a picture of AYL case with it's covered folded completely back, or how thin it is from the side. Thanks :)

dwcleck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will post pics

But may not get to it until Friday. Dealing with storm and downed servers causing me some heartache and sleepless nights this week. Stay tuned. I just wish I could convince everyone to get this case. Thin is exactly what it is. You cannot get any thinner or lightweight and the quality is superb. Pics coming.

NAYo2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But may not get to it until Friday. Dealing with storm and downed servers causing me some heartache and sleepless nights this week. Stay tuned. I just wish I could convince everyone to get this case. Thin is exactly what it is. You cannot get any thinner or lightweight and the quality is superb. Pics coming.

Any luck with pics? I really like this case but I have no idea why AYL insists on calling it "carbon fiber." It clearly isn't carbon fiber. Carbon fiber looks nothing like leather.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score

On the contrary, a poorly-made product or material will deteriorate very quickly under even some degree of use: I'm talking days here, if not weeks, which is why some users have gone through four, five cases in the space of under a year. You do, in many cases, get what you pay for.

I've used an Oberon cover for about seven months now, and it has already acquired a veneer which only comes from a well-used leather product. I also have a Yoobao case (not my purchase) and the quality between it and the Oberon is, without much exaggeration, like comparing a Yugo to a Audi.

Obviously, the price point of an Oberon (or an Audi) is not for everyone, since we accessorize our devices differently, and even I needed a few days to think about the cost before I ordered it. However, the quality and craftsmanship of the Oberon was very evident the moment I opened it up, and well worth the pennies spent.

Most reactions