What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrying Bag?

NCTurner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am in need of a carrying bag for my ipad 2. I already have a case for it (a Switcheasy canvas, which I love!) However, I want a bag to carry not only my ipad/case, but various other items, such as a charging cable, a portable HD, an HDMI cable, etc. I don't like carrying these few items in my 17" notebook bag.

Does anyone have any suggestions for one of these? Thanks!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might take a look at the products from Waterfield Design in San Francisco. They can provide a variety of options depending on your needs.

You'll find their stuff is relatively expensive compared to other options; but you'll also find that their stuff wears like iron. I've had a laptop bag that has been used, abused, and overpacked for five years and it looks like new.

Here's one option that might fit what you're looking for.

iPad Travel Express - SFBags - WaterField Designs - iPad 2

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out the Cocoon. Love mine, especially the grid (zoom in the photo for more details) which keeps all the accessories neat and in one place.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Cocoon-CGB150RD-iPad-Sling-Apple/dp/B003PJVYQ2/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1303428406&sr=8-11]Amazon.com: Cocoon CGB150RD iPad Sling, fits Apple iPad, 11 x 2.5 x 8.5 inch, Red: Electronics[/ame]

OP
N

NCTurner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. The Cocoon and the SMT bags don't seem large enough for the other supplies (am I wrong?) The SFBags look like the right size, but dang, they must be lined with gold thread! :) Thanks for the suggestions. So far the SFBags look like the best choice, but surely there are others as well, that aren't quite as costly?

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. The Cocoon and the SMT bags don't seem large enough for the other supplies (am I wrong?) The SFBags look like the right size, but dang, they must be lined with gold thread! :) Thanks for the suggestions. So far the SFBags look like the best choice, but surely there are others as well, that aren't quite as costly?

How large is the HD? There's a full pocket on the outside of the Cocoon. I carry my iPad, cables, earphones, and stylus in the bag. Use the outside pocket for papers and stuff. If you're near an Office Max, they had the Cocoons on sale. Most often being able to see the product and handle it helps in the decision process.

OP
N

NCTurner

iPF Noob
Reaction score

How large is the HD? There's a full pocket on the outside of the Cocoon. I carry my iPad, cables, earphones, and stylus in the bag. Use the outside pocket for papers and stuff. If you're near an Office Max, they had the Cocoons on sale. Most often being able to see the product and handle it helps in the decision process.

The HD is an external USB HD, 3.5" x 5" x 3/4". The keyboard is an Apple wireless. The HDMI cable is 20', and is also bulky. Do you think those would all fit in your case?

Thanks for the suggestion about Office Max...I'll see what cases I can find locally as well.

jd78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have a price limit you are working with? I am using the Tom Bihn Ristretto for iPad/Netbook. It's a bit pricey, but not as much as the Muzetto. It's a small bag, but still large enough to hold several items. On a regular day I carry my iPad w/case, Kindle 3 w/case, Sprint Overdrive, various cables, my wallet, phone, and medium size notebook. However, I have also tested it for a larger load for an upcoming trip and confirmed I can carry both my iPad and a 10" Netbook w/charging cable (plus the other stuff).

Ristretto for iPad/iPad 2: TOM BIHN

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I know where you're coming from, especially in the current economic climate. But here are some things to consider. First, as I noted before, the SF bags wear like iron. I have several laptop bags I've purchased over the years and after 2-3 years of use they're toast. I've had my SF laptop bag for five years and apart from some slight abrasion on the aircraft quality buckle, it literally looks as good as the day I bought it. No loose threads, sheds dirt like my dog when she comes home from the woods. Just a great product.

Second, as noted on their website SF Bags are made by people in San Francisco, not China. That American labor makes them more expensive but it also means manufacturing jobs here in the USA. That means something to me.

Third, I've had a few issues/questions/etc. with various items I've purchased from Waterfield Designs over the years. Each time I've been contacted by the CEO within a few hours. That, too, counts for something. If you have problems they'll replace your product or refund your purchase price, no questions asked. I even lost a strap on my laptop bag and they replaced it free of charge. I was amazed.

All in all, it's a great company. I have nothing to do with them other than being a very satisfied customer. If you can afford the investment (and it's not THAT much more expensive than the alternatives), it's worth it.

OP
N

NCTurner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all for the great suggestions. JSH1120 - I wrote SFBags last night, and already heard back from them this morning. You're right, they do respond very quickly! That was impressive. However, they said the Express probably wouldn't let me fit my ipad / case inside it (I have the Switcheasy canvas),but suggested maybe the ipad Wallet. I really don't care for that style, and I don't think my extras would look too good in it, either.

I DID find what I was looking for, I think:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N8726W]Amazon.com: Targus CityGear Netbook Case for up to 10.2 Inch Netbooks- Black and Grey TSM097US: Electronics[/ame]

The reviews are GREAT about it, and it sounds like it will accomodate all of my stff without looking bulky/lumpy. I'm excited about getting it, hopefully Monday or Tuesday (ordered today via Amazon Prime.) I'll let you know how it fits all my stuff.

Thanks again for the great suggestions everyone!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all for the great suggestions. JSH1120 - I wrote SFBags last night, and already heard back from them this morning. You're right, they do respond very quickly! That was impressive. However, they said the Express probably wouldn't let me fit my ipad / case inside it (I have the Switcheasy canvas),but suggested maybe the ipad Wallet. I really don't care for that style, and I don't think my extras would look too good in it, either.

I DID find what I was looking for, I think:

Amazon.com: Targus CityGear Netbook Case for up to 10.2 Inch Netbooks- Black and Grey TSM097US: Electronics

The reviews are GREAT about it, and it sounds like it will accomodate all of my stff without looking bulky/lumpy. I'm excited about getting it, hopefully Monday or Tuesday (ordered today via Amazon Prime.) I'll let you know how it fits all my stuff.

Thanks again for the great suggestions everyone!

Happy you found something that fits your needs. I'd still encourage others to consider SFBags. As you noted, they were responsive and even indicated that the model you chose might not fit your needs. That in itself is impressive.

Also happy to hear you like the SwitchEasy Canvas. I think I may consider it, myself.

OP
N

NCTurner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Happy you found something that fits your needs. I'd still encourage others to consider SFBags. As you noted, they were responsive and even indicated that the model you chose might not fit your needs. That in itself is impressive.

Also happy to hear you like the SwitchEasy Canvas. I think I may consider it, myself.

Yeah, it is impressive to hear a company turn DOWN a sale. If the suggested case was one I liked, i'd go with it in a heartbeat.

I absolutely LOVE my Switcheasy! I was eating at a fast food place the day after I got it, and some lady stopped me to ask about my case! She wasn't that interested in my iPad 2... Only the case...lol! It is very protective, looks sharp and is very well made. The screen protector isn't worth the postage to mail it, I don't think though.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts