What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carroll

CLondoner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm brand new to Apple and the IPad2. I'm trying to learn the "culture" and the methodologies of the "Apple way of doing things."

One frustration is not knowing "if" and "when" an app might have an interface with my PC! Have many years and $$$ invested in the PC platform because universities generally adopted the PC OS back in the 1970s. May some day buy an Apple laptop, but not soon. So, are there any clues to look for when looking at productivity apps that sync with my ICloud and/or Dropbox on my PC platform ?

Many thanks; I'm looking to learn from all of you how to use effectively my IPad2!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Carroll - welcome to the forum! :)

You've opened up a complex discussion - I would suggest telling us what specific applications you need to integrate w/ your PC (I've been in the same situation, a medical center professor using PCs for years; recently retired!) - also, if you have specific questions, the search functions are excellent and there is a LOT of information on integrating these platforms already available.

BTW, wife & I just returned from a short trip to Richmond, VA - went up there to see the musical Wicked at the Landmark Theater; we stayed at The Jefferson, one of our favorite hotels - love the seafood in that town (esp. the shellfish options) - ate at Bookbinders, the Hard Shell, and had the Sunday brunch at the hotel - wonderful time! Good luck and look forward to you posting - Dave :)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome.

There is lots of good advice and info on here plus plenty of members all too willing to help with any problems.

Remember, search is your friend.......and please don't forget to read the rules http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

These are the hacking section rules for all you jail breakers (and would be jail breakers) http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2892-hacking-section-rules-please-read.html

We also have an app for this forum. A link to download the app is: Discussion Forum for iPad Users for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

If you have other Apple products or are interested in other Apple kit then why not join our sister forum too at http://www.appleforums.net/

Finally, if you still haven't had enough, how about a video explaining about our other forums (note:you may want to play this at half speed but hey, why shouldn't Phil be excited about our forums!)

The Archangel

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
C

CLondoner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Dave for the quick reply. It sounds like you had a great trip to our fair city. The Jefferson is one of our delights over the
years and yes the food and especially the seafood is indeed top drawer. If you love quaintness and nostalgia for the past you might try going to Williamsburg at Christmas time. History abounds and the food is out of the world.

Now to my questions about PC integration. As a retired Professor (from VCU) I often sit on boards of education, voluntary groups, and on a couple of internatonal educational asssociations. I'm actually much busier than I was when i was teaching and reserching becasue i have to juggle many new projects with multiple tasks. Started off looking for a "project management" type of program much like "MS project' but quickly decided that may be over kill and only found one true project management. Then started looking at the GTD apps and have have downloaded three: Beneto, Toodledo, and Evernote. Found that Beneto has no interface with a PC, and Toodledo "may" have one but haven't found it yet. Finally, after all the reviews settled yesterday on trying Eveernote.Much to my surprise i found it does have a PC app but the IPad2 version does not have the "web clipper" functdion which I presumed it might have. I think the Everenote may be a good program for me to use becasue I want to leave my laptop at home when i'm on my educational trips and use the IPad2 to juggle all of these new responsibilities.

I recongize the Ipad is not a fully functioning laptop but it seems to me that with the "right" apps I can have it do many functions that I used to do on a laptop. So, at the moment, my needs are on productivity apps that will help me organize and manage the many new tasks and responsibilities I have taken on. I would like to syn all my materials back to my PC (brand new Dell) without having to buy at this time an Apple Laptop.

Any insights you might have as a fromer academic would be really helpful.

Carroll

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...[little snip]..

Much to my surprise i found it does have a PC app but the IPad2 version does not have the "web clipper" function which I presumed it might have. I think the Evernote may be a good program for me to use because I want to leave my laptop at home when I'm on my educational trips and use the IPad2 to juggle all of these new responsibilities.

Hi, Carroll:

First off, welcome to the forum. Glad to "see" you and hope you enjoy your visit(s).

I use Evernote all the time, both on my computer an on my iPad. It is truly a very handy clipping/note taker/memory jotter app. I say all that to say that you can make a Safari bookmarklet so that you can clip web pages and such from the iPad into Evernote. I'll assume that you already know how to add and edit a Safari bookmark on your iPad, but here's a quick recap anyway:

1. Add any page as a bookmark by tapping the curvy arrow in Safari (helpful hint: Name the bookmark Evernote)

2. Select and copy the Javascript below to your clipboard (take out the space right after the word and semi colon (javascript:) at the beginning ... I had to put it there to prevent the forum software putting in a frowny face):

javascript: (function(){EN_CLIP_HOST='http://www.evernote.com';try{var x=document.createElement('SCRIPT');x.type='text/javascript';x.src=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/public/bookmarkClipper.js?'+(new Date().getTime()/100000);document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(x);}catch(e){location.href=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/clip.action?url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title);}})();

3. Go to your bookmarks and edit the new bookmark by first deleting all the info in the URL field and then pasting the above Javascript in the field for the URL. Change the name of the bookmark if you didn't name it at the start...

4. Done.

This may make it easier for you to use Evernote. Any time you want to clip a link or a part of a web page (or the whole thing), go to your bookmarks, select this bookmarklet and it'll walk you through the process of clipping. You'll have to sign in the first time you use it, but it'll remember your details up to a week.

BTW, there are a lot of bookmarklets out there that work well on the iPad/Safari. This is just one of them...

I hope this helps start you off in a way to use your iPad. Let us know if you have issues.

Marilyn

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi again Carroll - sounds like Marilyn has provided some useful information for you to give a try - please let us know how this works out for your needs?

I'm both newly retired (June 30 of this year) so have not yet decided 'how' I might re-enter my previous profession as a 'volunteer' but I'm sure I'll be asked - :)

Also I'm fairly new to the iPad (April) and have a bunch of apps, including Evernote, which I've not explored fully at this point - just not a big need, but others here certainly have vast experience, so I hope that you find the programs & interactions w/ your other computer needs solved - good luck! Dave

OP
C

CLondoner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn, thanks for your help in this matter. Will have to wait for the weekend to try this as I'm off on a business trip and don't have the time to try this.

I really do appreciate your good description of "how to make a marklet." I feel as if i'm slowly building some skills in this new environment.

Carroll

OP
C

CLondoner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
David. I'm waiting until the weekend to try Marilyn's tip on making the web clipper. I'm off on a business trip and don't have the time at the moment.

Per your new retired status, you will find that many community groups will want you to sit on Boards, give speeches, etc., just because you were a professor. I've chosen not to do part-time teaching; after 40+ years that is too much of a grind again. However, you might see if there are ways you can share your research skills or teaching strategies to some medical groups you may wish to assist.

The reason I needed some kind of a "get things done" app is because I am doing so many things in retirement i cannot keep track of them except by little stick papers all over my desk; an unruly way to get things done indeed!

I'm hopeful that the Evernote program or some other one (I also purchased Toodledo but haven't looked at it yet) can be the anwer to organizing my retired life.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Carroll - thanks for the advice & tips in your last post; I know a lot of 'retired' people who are busier than in their previous jobs, especially when picking an activity that was different. I as an academic radiologist (at Wake Forest Med Ctr) specializing in abdominal imaging - a number of my 'retired' colleagues are now working 2-3 days/week on a per diem basis, but that is not what I want to return to at the moment.

Wife & I have join the YMCA (just 5 mins from our home) - Emeritus perk for free - so that occupies a little time. I've also re-joined our Unitarian Fellowship and am on the maintenance committee (and probably will be asked to be on others!), and we both joined a local county organization called the Crickets Nest, where one can take personal projects in of all types, set a modest fee, and also donate back to the community - I've been an amateur woodworker for years, so providing an opportunity to do some more in that area - I'm sure that I will shortly add some other activities!

Good luck w/ organizing your activities - seems to be plenty of options. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts