What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capacity on ipad 2

OP
W

willtrvl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have the answer but I don't have 3G and mine says 14 capacity. Just a guess..

littlesue73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I think it might be because it's a 3G, after thinking about it as it will have a few extras on to do with the carrier I suppose....

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16GB Wifi only iPad and a 16GB iPhone. Both say 14 GB capacity.
Obviously the phone has 3G, but both have 14 as their capacity.

DaddyNator

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to get my keyboard back if I accidentally tap the button in the bottom right corner? The only solution so far is to either completely shut down and reboot or get out my Bluetooth keyboard (which has a "keyboard up" button). There must be a better way.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DaddyNator said:
Can anyone tell me how to get my keyboard back if I accidentally tap the button in the bottom right corner? The only solution so far is to either completely shut down and reboot or get out my Bluetooth keyboard (which has a "keyboard up" button). There must be a better way.

Tap in the text box.

And that was a hijack.

Last edited:

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum DaddyNator. We're happy to have you but when you post a question about a totally different topic then what we are discussing that's considered hijacking a thread. Look at the forum and fine the proper area for your topic, like iPad Help. If after searching you don't find an answer then start a new thread.

seahare

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16 GB White iPad 2. Mine only shows 13.5 GB for Capacity. Where is my other 500 MB? Why am I more angry now? Crap.

Ditto. Mine also says 13.5 GB which is different than my neighbour's iPad 2 which was ordered at the same time. Tracking information indicated they both followed the same route from China.

Last night we compared speedtests and his iPad 2 beat my speed by at least 25%, same Wi-Fi, same conditions, same routes, same settings.

The only difference between the 2, mine is engraved, his is not.

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hard disk's, even solid state one's need an indexing system in order to be able to track where data resides on the disk. This is usually referred to as formatting. Formatting assigns an address to each allocated block of memory on the disc (size of the blocks vary depending on operating systems), assigning this data and keeping track of it takes away user space on the disk. So even though the disk may be rated at say 16GB that is the preformatted space, once the FAT (file allocation tables) the VTOC (volume table of contents) tables and the MBR (master boot record) space is allocated the amount of user space is decreased. BTW the larger the disk the more space you lose because it contains a greater number of sectors that have to be tracked.

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No different to a hard drive you loose about 10% so a 500 gb drive will have about 450 gb available. On an iPad 32 gb will be about 29gb this is due to what Tim pointed out and formatting this is normal..........

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 16 GB White iPad 2. Mine only shows 13.5 GB for Capacity. Where is my other 500 MB? Why am I more angry now? Crap.

Ditto. Mine also says 13.5 GB which is different than my neighbour's iPad 2 which was ordered at the same time. Tracking information indicated they both followed the same route from China.

Last night we compared speedtests and his iPad 2 beat my speed by at least 25%, same Wi-Fi, same conditions, same routes, same settings.

The only difference between the 2, mine is engraved, his is not.

Do a restore should correct it

Most reactions