What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't upload images

DOl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I loaded an SD card with new images and inserted the card into the reader and put it in my ipad mini and it says that there are no photos available to import. The reader has always worked before, but now it doen't. I even loaded a different SD card, no dice. Tried on my ipad 4 and neither card works there either.
Anyone else have this problem and come up with a solution. I haven't used the reader that often to wear it out and since it was an Apple product, it wasn't cheap.

I'm using version 7.1.2 of the operating system on the mini, if that helps.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I loaded an SD card with new images and inserted the card into the reader and put it in my ipad mini and it says that there are no photos available to import. The reader has always worked before, but now it doen't. I even loaded a different SD card, no dice. Tried on my ipad 4 and neither card works there either........

Hello, by 'reader' do you mean the Apple CCK adapter shown below? If so, are you using the camera formatted SD card? A regular SD card will not work w/ this adapter - best to use one formatted by your digital camera - the card will then have the proper 'DCIM' folder and the image files will be labeled appropriately, so as to be read by your adapter-iPad.

Now, I'm not sure if you have a computer, but with the images located there a number of cabled and wireless options are available for the transfer, e.g. iTunes, iCloud, Dropbox, & PhotoSync to mention a few.

Yet another wireless option is the AirStash Device (pic below) - your camera's SD card inserts into the end and a local Wi-Fi network is created which communicates w/ a free app on your iPad - works like a charm. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 10.48.26 AM.png
61N5caGHcnL._SL1500_.jpg

OP
D

DOl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, the reader is the one that you show on top in white. I have uploaded images from an SD card with image off my computer quite a few times before with no problems. I don't know if I have up loaded any since upgrading to the newer OS though. I have not upgraded to the latest OS because sometimes there are bugs that need to be worked out. All of my computers are PCs , desktop and laptop. I can read the new picture images from my desktop on my laptop so I know that they are there. If I format this card in a camera I will lose all the existing images that are on it. They are all old family images, so I do not want to do that. I do have a new SD card that I could format in the camera and then attempt to load images on it to try again on the ipad mini. I've uploaded images before from this card and the reader so I know it worked before!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, the reader is the one that you show on top in white. I have uploaded images from an SD card with image off my computer quite a few times before with no problems. I don't know if I have up loaded any since upgrading to the newer OS though. I have not upgraded to the latest OS because sometimes there are bugs that need to be worked out. All of my computers are PCs , desktop and laptop. I can read the new picture images from my desktop on my laptop so I know that they are there. If I format this card in a camera I will lose all the existing images that are on it. They are all old family images, so I do not want to do that. I do have a new SD card that I could format in the camera and then attempt to load images on it to try again on the ipad mini. I've uploaded images before from this card and the reader so I know it worked before!

Well, you have a number of issues above - the first, is the iOS on your iPads - the current one is 8.1.3, so has already gone through a bunch of updates - working fine on my iPad Air 2 (and the earlier versions on my previous iPad 2); BUT, up to you - will the upgrade correct your CCK issues - can't say?

As to the SD cards you are now trying, were they formatted in your digital camera; if not, how are the files stored on the cards and how are they named? As I stated previously, the CCK requires the presence of a DCIM folder on the card and the files need to be in an 8 character format w/ an extension - e.g. look at the image attached - my camera's SD card is inserted into my MBPro - the camera is a Panasonic Lumix - notice the DCIM folder w/ PANA folders contained; also observe the file names - all start w/ a P followed by 7 digits, thus 8 characters. You need to insert your SD cards in one of your computers and tell us how they are organized and named.

As to the value of your images, I'm assuming that they are on the drives on your computers and that you also have an external backup of these photos - correct? (e.g. my personal files, i.e. photos/docs/music are backed up in 4 places). SO, if these photos are backed up, try formatting your new SD card and placing a few images on it to see if the card then works.

Of course, the other simple maneuver to do is 'Reset' your iPads - might not help but won't hurt - if not familiar w/ this process, then hold down both the HOME & ON/OFF buttons until the Apple logo appears, release and let the devices reboot - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 12.51.02 PM.png

OP
D

DOl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'll try doing the OS upgrade first on the larger ipad 4. All my images are backed up. It's just that I have about 12,000 images on the HD and recreating the images on the card would be a major amount of time. Hopefully, it is just the old OS problem.

OP
D

DOl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a hard time remembering my password to download the new OS, then when I figured it out, I didn't have enough memory to download it. I deleted a few things and now it says it will take 30 minutes to download and install. Just waiting now. After it's finished, I'll try uploading images again.
Does downloading the new OS erase the old OS and free up that memory?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The storage space taken up by the old iOS version is used by the newly updated iOS version once it's installed. The space needed for the download is where the update file is downloaded to, decompressed, and made ready for installation. This space is freed up after the verification and installation are complete.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think likely the naming convention of the files within the DCIM folder is more likely the issue here.

A better method of transferring pictures to the iPad is apps like Photo Transfer App. These apps are not limited to a naming convention. I'd say the transfer process would be a bit quicker because it's one step instead of two.

OP
D

DOl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The storage space taken up by the old iOS version is used by the newly updated iOS version once it's installed. The space needed for the download is where the update file is downloaded to, decompressed, and made ready for installation. This space is freed up after the verification and installation are complete.

Thanks for the answer. I was hoping that it would replace the old OS instead of taking up additional space.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer. I was hoping that it would replace the old OS instead of taking up additional space.

When first released, the OTA (Over the Air) iOS 8.x upgrade required at least 5 GB of 'free' space on your iDevice - the newest 8.1.3 version is not only a smaller size download but does not need quite as much free storage (Source) - if you are still having an issue, then a cabled connection to iTunes on your computer is your best choice. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

The new iOS version only take a little more space than the old one, because it's a tad bit larger. The initial 3 to 5 GB requirement is because it needs to download the update file, uncompress it, install it, then verify it. Think of it as putting new shelving in your garage. While your doing it you need a lot more space than the shelves took up either before or after the project.

This is also why using the iTunes restore method needs less room. It's the equivalent of doing most of the unpacking and assembly in the driveway before putting the new shelving in.

OP
D

DOl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, when I bought my first ipad, ipad 4 large one, I got the retina display 16GB instead of getting the 32 gb model. That was a mistake as it does not give you much room for anything.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Unfortunately, when I bought my first ipad, ipad 4 large one, I got the retina display 16GB instead of getting the 32 gb model. That was a mistake as it does not give you much room for anything.

Having a small amount of space on your iPad in not conducive to uploading a large amount of images to it. The larger screened iPads can be handy as a "photo frame" display device, but many people just use it to capture images then download them to a PC or other storage device for safe keeping. I guess my point is, there is only a finite amount of space on the iPad, even with the larger memory models.

Most reactions

Latest posts