What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't upgrade to 4.3.3 via Jailbreak

Starman002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I try to Jailbreak using Redsn0w_win0.9.6rc17 I get to a point where it says (I try to save it but I can't write it down because it is only on the screen a few moments) something like "waited 60000 ms and can't save file". It appears to do a jailbreak but the system is the same.

I have a 32GB Wi-Fi Ipad. Model MB293LL Version 4.3.2 (8H7) and can't upgrade.

Any ideas?

Starman002

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you mean you are on 4.3.2 and want to jailbreak 4.3.3 and you think the jailbreak will update the iPad?
You have to update to 4.3.3 with iTunes first, then download the latest version of redsnow and jailbreak. The jailbreak will not update the iPad.
There is no jailbreak for iPad 2, but redsnow would tell you that.

Are you putting it into DFU mode right? I messed that up sometimes and it will give me a warning about waiting.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I have to check. There is no rc17 of redsn0w? Last official release is rc16. Is that a typo, or do you have an unofficial JB tool, in which case that really could be the problem? The ONLY place to get redsn0w is Dev-Team Blog

Last edited:
OP
S

Starman002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update by Starman002

I looked on the internet & downloaded rc17. It looks like 16. I did all the steps correctly. Just so I understand, you don't have to take a jailbroked 4.3.2 Ipad, update to 4.3.3 then jailbreak it right. The rc16 or 17 does the jailbreak and update to 4.3.3 right? Please help.

Starman002

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Starman002 said:
I looked on the internet & downloaded rc17. It looks like 16. I did all the steps correctly. Just so I understand, you don't have to take a jailbroked 4.3.2 Ipad, update to 4.3.3 then jailbreak it right. The rc16 or 17 does the jailbreak and update to 4.3.3 right? Please help.

Starman002

Rc 16 is the latest redsnow. Rc 17 does not exist. Redsnow will jailbreak your current software, not update and jailbreak. To jailbreak 4.3.3, update with iTunes and jailbreak with redsnow rc 16. Which is the exact same thing I said earlier.

OP
S

Starman002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y,

Just a couple more questions.

Do I need to download 4.3.3 via itunes to update the jail broken IPAD?

Won't updating a jail broken IPAD on 4.3.2 take the jail break away when uploading to 4.3.3 via itunes?

If I do the update will I need to jail break the IPAD via RC16 and how do I keep from losing all the broken files I have in 4.3.2?

Please help.

Starman

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
f4780y,

Just a couple more questions.

Do I need to download 4.3.3 via itunes to update the jail broken IPAD?

Won't updating a jail broken IPAD on 4.3.2 take the jail break away when uploading to 4.3.3 via itunes?

If I do the update will I need to jail break the IPAD via RC16 and how do I keep from losing all the broken files I have in 4.3.2?

Please help.

Starman

No, you don't need to download via iTunes. You can download the IPSW file manually and use it to update.... BUT

Yes, updating via iTunes WILL WIPE YOUR JAILBREAK. You don't want to do this... that's why we created this thread - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...des/26399-how-upgrade-your-ios-jailbreak.html

If you follow that guide, you should be able to upgrade your iPad without losing any data.
Make sure you take some time to read our stickies and threads in the tutorials section. They should contain all the information you need.

Hope that helps.

OP
S

Starman002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y,
I looked at your guide, but I have questions.
I did the backup via pkgbackup.
I understand that I need to do a full syncronization to backup 4.3.2 for all itunes apps, settings and media.
Then I need to create & install a sn0wbreeze custom firmware??? is that the ipsw 4.3.3? and how do I install that?
After that is installed I just run the backup from pkgbackup & I will have everything restored to the new iOS?

Starman002

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
f4780y,
I looked at your guide, but I have questions.
I did the backup via pkgbackup.
I understand that I need to do a full syncronization to backup 4.3.2 for all itunes apps, settings and media.
Then I need to create & install a sn0wbreeze custom firmware??? is that the ipsw 4.3.3? and how do I install that?
After that is installed I just run the backup from pkgbackup & I will have everything restored to the new iOS?

Starman002

Yes, you want to use 4.3.3 on sn0wbreeze. At the appropriate point in the "upgrade instructions", just break out and follow the sn0wbreeze tutorial in the guides section. It walks you through step by step. It's very detailed. That's what it's for :D

And yes, once you have restored your custom firmware, you will reinstall pkgbackup from Cydia then "restore" your backup...

Just be prepared, to do the full end to end process you will need several hours (mostly to sync your stuff back onto the iPad)

OP
S

Starman002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y,

I appreciate your patience. I tried to follow the instructions but it appears to me to be doing the same thing as when I tried to jailbreak an already jail broken ipad. The instruction appear to be for jail breaking the ipad.

I am so confused.

Please help.

Starman002

Fr0st

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y,

I appreciate your patience. I tried to follow the instructions but it appears to me to be doing the same thing as when I tried to jailbreak an already jail broken ipad. The instruction appear to be for jail breaking the ipad.

It seems that you are using rc17 ( does not exist yet ) to jailbreak 4.3.2. What you need is rc14, but this is only if you want to keep your current firmware. HOWEVER! If you want the newest jailbreak via redsn0w, then you will need rc16 that is meant to be used with 4.3.3.

This means that you will need to backup you data, update your firmware, then re-jailbreak your iDevice.

It may help us - and in turn help you - if you told us at what step you are in the Jailbreaking process. Also why you are having problems with it.

Let me clarify: Please tell us 'exactly' what you have done so far, and include as much detail as possible.
E.g What step did you reach in the guide posted by f4780y, what error code are you getting, and/or what is appearing on your screen?

Most reactions

Latest posts