What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't update due to backup issue

laapsaap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hope you tech guys can help? Tried another thread forum no help there! The problem....want to update my iPad to 4.3 but when it starts it gives me the message unable to backup to this computer. I have 33g on the iPad and 63g free space on my laptop. So any suggestions? My iPad will sync with the current 4.2 but does not backup.:confused:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hope you tech guys can help? Tried another thread forum no help there! The problem....want to update my iPad to 4.3 but when it starts it gives me the message unable to backup to this computer. I have 33g on the iPad and 63g free space on my laptop. So any suggestions? My iPad will sync with the current 4.2 but does not backup.:confused:

Not sure whether you're using a Mac or a PC. If it's a MacBook - Go to ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist and look for the line that reads DeviceBackupsDisabled and make sure it's set to False. You can edit the file in Property List Editor if you have it installed or in TextEdit otherwise.

If it's a PC or this doesn't fix the problem, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Tim
Scotland

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then get a Plist editor such as Plist editor for windows.

OP
L

laapsaap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Duh

whats a Plist editor and what do I do with it to slove my problem?:confused:

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll explain it later in let's say 10 hours because right now I'm very tired.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
whats a Plist editor and what do I do with it to slove my problem?:confused:

OK - don't worry. A PList - or properties list - is how the Apple iOS stores several parameters, including the Device Backup one I referred to in my earlier post.

A PList Editor - there are several reputable free ones available - allow you to 'explore' and 'edit' the PList and see whether that parameter has become 'inadvertently' set to the wrong logical value.

It's probably not a job for the faint-hearted and I'm certainly no expert myself. Maybe the other helpful poster can guide you through this. There's certainly no harm in just checking to see what that parameter is set to.

If this suggestion doesn't work out, we'll try some other things....

Tim
Scotland

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So once again a Plist editor for windows is "Plist editor for windows" (that's it's name).

OP
L

laapsaap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
biobunny said:
So once again a Plist editor for windows is "Plist editor for windows" (that's it's name).

I know this and have already d/l the plist editor. What I don't know is where I go from there? I have looked in the apple and iTunes folders on my laptop but can't find any files with a plist ext.

OP
L

laapsaap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
biobunny said:
QuickTime on your PC uses Plists.

Came up with a solution! Don't ask why it worked but it did. I just changed the setting to encrypt the backup and away it went, then told it to update and it updated to 4.3.1. Now all working fine with no issues so far. BTW I have a 64 g with WiFi and 3G no connection problems with either option.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
laapsaap said:
Came up with a solution! Don't ask why it worked but it did. I just changed the setting to encrypt the backup and away it went, then told it to update and it updated to 4.3.1. Now all working fine with no issues so far. BTW I have a 64 g with WiFi and 3G no connection problems with either option.

You fixed it!!!

Most reactions