What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't transfer evernote voice memos from android phone to iPad :(

jojoba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I made a voice memo on my Android phone today and for some reason this won't open on my ipad2. I get the message "Evernote could not open this attachment on your devise. This type of file may not be supported".

Does anyone know how to get around this?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I would contact Evernote support and ask there.

When I create a note on my iMac it is a wav file. When I create or sync a note on the iPad it gets a QuickTime icon, but emails as a wav. It might be worthwhile to make sure the Android is also playing and creating wav files. Neither the iPad nor the iMac version of Evernote seem to have the ability to set the audio file type, but you never know.

Though you might want to try some of these common fixes first. (on the iPad)

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

OP
J

jojoba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all this! I will check the file type at my android phone and contact Evernote and take it from there (I've done the restart etc option).

OP
J

jojoba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK I've found the problem - my android records amr files which my iPad doesn't want to play. Does anyone know if there's an app that solves this??

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry. Can't help with that. I'm surprised that the audio notes are not converted on Evernote's server, so that they come to the iPad as compatible files.

Have the Evernote developers commented on it?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I went to the Evernote forums on their site (you have to sign in and choose the Help option. A search for 'iPad amr' netted one thread. Apparently they depend on the built in audio recording ability of android phones, and these usually only supply amr.

The only solutions I can think of is to use another Android note taking program that records in a more compatible format, then attach it in Evernote, or Using Open In... in Evernote to open the .amr file in another app. But I can test either option. I don't' have an Android phone anymore for the fist. I can't seem to find a sample amr file to test with the other. I suspect that OPlayer will play AMR files, but it does not say so, exactly, so both the Open In and actual playing need testing.

I suspect the Evernote does not support Open In... because I could not force it with a .wav file, and that should have been possible; but I won't be sure until I find a file attachment it does not support, and one of my other apps does; if that makes sense.

But if OPlayer (or some other app) will play the files, then you sould at least be able to mail the notes to yourself and then use Open In in Mail to copy and play them in the compatible app.

OP
J

jojoba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I heard back from Evernote now and they basically said it wasn't possible. At the end of the day it's not a huge issue for me, I just wanted to know that there weren't any options/ apps that I had overlooked. Since I normally have my phone with me, I'll just use that and the web for the audio files.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh well. If you ever do find a solution let us know. You never know if/when an Android update might include the code Evernote needs to fix the problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts