What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't Transfer Apps From JB iPad to New iTunes

muelgrub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to trasfer my apps etc from my JB iPad2 to a new iTunes library because my old library got deleted from the hard drive. When I hit transfer, I get to step 4 (waiting for changes to be applies) but it gets stuck. The wheel keeps spinning but that's it, nothing else.
anyone help?

Teddybearman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the exact same problem. My iPad2 is not jailbroken (something I had to forego when I updated to iOS 5.1 from iOS 4.3.1) and when I tried syncing it to a new laptop (Windows 7) via iTunes (latest version), and clicked on Transfer Purchases, iTunes would "freeze" at step 4 and no matter how long I wait, nothing happens.

I've searched for answers on the internet, and so far, nothing seems to work. It is so frustrating. I hope others can help us out. Thanks in advance!

OP
M

muelgrub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Teddybearman said:
I have the exact same problem. My iPad2 is not jailbroken (something I had to forego when I updated to iOS 5.1 from iOS 4.3.1) and when I tried syncing it to a new laptop (Windows 7) via iTunes (latest version), and clicked on Transfer Purchases, iTunes would "freeze" at step 4 and no matter how long I wait, nothing happens.

I've searched for answers on the internet, and so far, nothing seems to work. It is so frustrating. I hope others can help us out. Thanks in advance!

Yeah, so do I. It's very frustrating. Have you tried any communication with apple?

Teddybearman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not yet, but I'm definitely thinking about it. Sort of as a last resort. I've been searching for a solution and I keep coming up with searches of similar problems that I am shocked Apple is not addressing it when I searched their Support.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the latest iTunes, rebooted the computer running Windows 7, turned off my Windows Firewall, uninstalled AVG, deauthorized and authorized my laptop, checked "do not auto-sync", done all the things I've read here and other sites as well, you name it. Zilch. I am totally at a loss.

I'll give searching another go tomorrow, as it is quite late here. If you happen to come up with a solution, do share it please. *hugs*

OP
M

muelgrub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sure will, please do the same! *hugs*

> Teddybear: But it seems like a call to Apple is the only option. No one here has answered the question and one would think that someone here has to know what to do. If I could be so presumptuous to suggest that since your iPad isn't jailbroken, perhaps you would be the more logical one to call. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Muelgrub:

First off, I'm sorry, but I can't help you. (1) Because I've never had to transfer to a new iTunes and (2) because I've never had a problem in transferring apps from my jail broken device. However, I have moved this post of yours to the Hacking section, so hopefully someone with jail breaking experience might have seen this issue.

Secondly, please don't create another post on the same topic. It creates a fractured conversation and makes it difficult to follow. And, it's against our rules. Next time, if you feel a post needs to be in a different section, please contact a moderator who can move your original post for you. I have deleted your other post and ask you keep all follow ups and updates on this issue to this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Again, hopefully, with this post now here in the Hacking section, someone will be able to help. Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
M

muelgrub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Muelgrub:

First off, I'm sorry, but I can't help you. (1) Because I've never had to transfer to a new iTunes and (2) because I've never had a problem in transferring apps from my jail broken device. However, I have moved this post of yours to the Hacking section, so hopefully someone with jail breaking experience might have seen this issue.

Secondly, please don't create another post on the same topic. It creates a fractured conversation and makes it difficult to follow. And, it's against our rules. Next time, if you feel a post needs to be in a different section, please contact a moderator who can move your original post for you. I have deleted your other post and ask you keep all follow ups and updates on this issue to this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Again, hopefully, with this post now here in the Hacking section, someone will be able to help. Good luck.

Marilyn

Thanks M! So far no help, however. Surprising.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@muelgrub, all of this really points to issues with your PC. I can't see that it's anything to do with the device, jailbroken or not. They simply don't do this normally.

You say you have a new iTunes library, but I suspect you don't have a good clean iTunes install, especially if you had a broken library before. I would suggest that is what you really need to make progress.

Hope that helps.

OP
M

muelgrub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
@muelgrub, all of this really points to issues with your PC. I can't see that it's anything to do with the device, jailbroken or not. They simply don't do this normally.

You say you have a new iTunes library, but I suspect you don't have a good clean iTunes install, especially if you had a broken library before. I would suggest that is what you really need to make progress.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, but I tried to take care of that issue by deleting both my iTunes software, and old libraries and even created a new library on a different drive. The problem persists, however, and I'm still stuck in the loop at step 4.
Don't know what to do!

OP
M

muelgrub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
muelgrub said:
Thank you, but I tried to take care of that issue by deleting both my iTunes software, and old libraries and even created a new library on a different drive. The problem persists, however, and I'm still stuck in the loop at step 4.
Don't know what to do!

In fact, I installed iTunes on a laptop and got stuck at the same point

Teddybearman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Muelgrub,

I had to do everything MANUALLY. I read somewhere that it happens when the media you are transferring from device to the PC is LARGE. Since I had 20 GB of stuff to transfer/backup, iTunes would freeze.

What I did was:

1. I took screen shots of each one of my home pages with the folders open. You can probably do that with your music folders, too, I'm not too sure but you can try. And since you're jailbroken, take screen shots of your tweaks and extensions, too, or write them down on a notepad.

1a. Make sure you copy/paste the screen shots to your computer. Even if it doesn't sync, your iPad still shows up as a drive, so you can copy/paste from windows explorer.

2. I deleted the apps MANUALLY, at least to a size that is small enough for the ERASE ALL CONTENT AND SETTINGS on your device. I found out that if the file is still large, it takes a longer time to finish, and it would seem like my iPad has hung up on me. So, better to really reduce the size of your media content.

3. At this point, make sure that everything you can backup manually is backup-ed. Like, things you can backup to iCloud or Dropbox, do it now. Open your games and back them up to Game Center.

3a. I also tried to transfer purchases at this point, thinking it might be small enough already for iTunes to handle, but I still failed.

4. Next step requires you to be brave, it is to ERASE ALL CONTENT AND SETTINGS. I used that one instead of the other RESET buttons.

5. Once your device has completely reset, it will ask you for the usual things like, what language you will use, etc. When you get to the part where it asks you if you would want to set up your device as a NEW iPAD or backup/restore, choose backup. Mine is connected to my laptop via USB cable the whole time so when that part comes, I see on my iTunes that you can choose to backup from a restore point. Choose that one and it will give you backup times you can restore to. Choose the latest one.

6. Miraculously, all my calendars, contacts, etc were actually backup-ed by iTunes even if it looked like it froze, so I was pleasantly surprised to see them restored to my iPad. My iPad has no apps and games but when I re-installed them, i.e. Plants vs. Zombies, my profiles were actually saved as well.

7. Manually re-install your apps based on the screen shots you took, or have an entirely new one. Now's your chance to finally be rid of apps you don't really use so re-install only your must-have apps like I did. But that's totally up to you, of course. Then try to slowly "break in" your iTunes. Install a few apps and then transfer purchases (make sure that you allow iTunes to do this by clicking on the Apps tab and checking the box that says Sync Apps), install again and sync, install and sync.

8. If you want to jailbreak your device, you can now do so. Just make sure you have no more problems with iTunes anymore before you do because jailbreaking can have different issues you might encounter.

There you have it. I had to devote a whole afternoon to it. Depends on how much you have on your iPad. You might probably have to devote the whole day for it. It's a lot of work but hey, as long as everything works from now on, that is tons better than not being able to backup to iTunes.

Good luck, my friend, and tell us how it went from your end. *hugs*

Teddy

Most reactions

Latest posts