What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cant transer pics

milinko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when i try to transfer photos to my ipad it will let e do it 1 at a time. bu when i try more than 1 at a time or a folder it tells me that some pics on my ipad didnt transfer cause they cant be viewed on my ipad. what am i doing wrong. i also bought the camera/sd adapter and when i plug it i nothing happenes. what am i doing wrong?

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I transfer transfer jpegs via Dropbox, a cloud service, instead of Itunes so can't help you there. If you have jpegs on your SD card when you plug in the Photo app should open and they will show there, then you can choose those to be installed or install all. I shoot in RAW and until 4.2.1 upgrade the Photo app would use the embedded jpeg for emaio, etc but now that doesn't seem to be the case but it still 'sees' the jpeg. If you are having problems, be sure you have turned on the Ipad, i.e., slide it open see the desktop, plug in your CC with the SD card securely inserted and in just a few moments the Photo app should open. If it doesn't I would contact Apple support.

OP
M

milinko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when i do try and sync it , it puts a ipad cache in the folder i am syncing with is that normal?

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The cache folder is normal. iTunes puts the images in that folder during the optimization portion of the transfer, before actually transferring the photos...thus taking up extra space on your PC. Nice, huh?

Most user experiencing problems transferring pics through iTunes have had success by deleting the cache folder and then trying the sync again.

I have not had such success. I spent two hours wi tech support yesterday trying to fix the photo sync. First they tried to tell me they could not help me because the file formats were not supported. I said "really"? Jpg not supported? Not what I wanted to hear. So he said some cameras save in different formats and it's not supported even though it says jpg as the extension. I explained that I used 7 different cameras and three different scanners as well as many saved from the web. I then asked for an elevated customer service rep. The new guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about and I explained to him that when I transferred the same files through Dropbox the pictures displayed just fine. Then he focused on the installation of iTunes. I uninstalled and re-downloaded and reinstalled but that did not fix it either. I am now waiting for him to finish his research. He said he would call me tomorrow. Hope to have something to post to help you then.

Any chance you are using a PC with 64 bit windows 7? I am trying to narrow down what is different with my setup that causes it to be unfixable by deleting the photo cache folder created by iTunes.

Nate

Last edited:
OP
M

milinko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hopefully uhear something back from themi am interested in what they would have to say. and yes i use windows 7 64 bit

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you try deleting that iPad photo cache folder? Did it not make transferring files work?

Nate

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tech support's only suggestion now is for me to create a new Windows User Name and try to login on that user and sync. Me thinks they are grasping now. I don't have time to try that today. But if you want to try it and report the results I would be happy to pass that on to tech support as if I did it. :)

Nate

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just thought of something. Milinko...is your windows user name the same as your iPad device name? Maybe that creates a conflict?

Nate

3rdfoundation

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This problem was covered in this thread:
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/15111-getting-images-onto-ipad.html

Image support & processing on the ipad pretty much sucks. I've seen it drop many images like this. I'm not sure what its deal is but if you reprocess your images the problem goes away 99% of the time. You do have to change some aspect of the image (size/crop) for it to work.

I use imagemagick to do it in bulk to all my images. Works like a champ. I've done that on 25000 images and only 3 gave me problems. Before that it was around 5-10% failure:
ImageMagick: Convert, Edit, and Compose Images

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've only had my ipad 2 weeks and yesterday just snyced my music in bulk (300)+ by jus dragging all.at once worked fine...and today tried my photos...worked fine.as.well..I chose what folder to.take them.out of and it was 906 pics at one time...took a while...did the optimizing thing..1-906 the. Did the copying part 1-906... it did put the chache folder in the folder I was pulling put of. But I didn't delete it or anything...I did open it and it jus looked like a bunch of folders in it....I had all the pics numbered 1-906 and it didn't put them exactly like that in photo folder on ipad but it did it pretty close...gonna try all my cell videos of my son tomarrow...ob and all the pics were jpeg taking from my Droid x and wifes blackberry storm

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While the information in the above linked post was useful, it does not cover themproblem we are discussing in this thread. I can't even copy two small pictures to my iPad and the only way to get one is to attempt to sync more than three...it will only sync the first. This is a definite problem with iTunes or the iPad. Tech support has acknowledged it is not right. They just can't find a solution yet. If we find out that it is hardware it will be easy to fix...get a new ipad. If it is an issue with the version of vista then we have to wait for someone in tech support to suggest to someone in development to put a fix in the OS which might take some time.

The last thing I suggested to tech support was the posibility that I screwed something up. When in first got my iPad I was at home and used my home PC with Vista 32 bit OS to sync it to iTunes . The next day I synced to my work desktop, had to deauthorize my home PC. The work desktop is a Win 7 64 bit. Could it have pulled the wrong drivers due to the 32 bit vs 64 bit systems? I have not heard back from tech support so maybe they are still researching that possibility.

Nate

Last edited:

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK...this is rich! I just connected to my home desktop...the 32 bit Vista system. Of course when I sync with iTunes I lose all my work data and applications that were purchased through work. So now I have about 3 hours of work to get it back. But that's part of troubleshooting.

So the iTunes at home did the sync of the photos. I got excited thinking I finally found a solution path. It's not the iPad but it is either iTunes or Win7 64 bit.

But when I open the photos in Photo on the iPad every photo is a blank white page. The folders are there with the correct labels and structures and each folder has the correct amount of photos. But the photos are all blank white pages. Weird!

I have come to the conclusion that the iPad sucks as a photo tool. First it downsized everything to an unacceptable level. Can't use the photos for professional use at the optimized level. Then they control the labels of the photos so the sort is by date taken or date transferred...can't really tell since they are all blank white pages. Is the device useful for people to just show their family some snap shots of the family vacation? Sure. But why use an iPad for that? I'd just use my android phone for something like that.

I have wasted enough time on this issue. I will report these findings to tech support but my hopes of using this device for my photo sessions has dwindled. I thought I would be able to use it in the field to view and edit photos as I take them. I do outdoor wildlife and scenic photos where I hike into a wilderness. It would be nice to leave my laptop at home or in the car...saving ounces on an alpine hike means you get to pack more water with you. This won't work with the iPad. Ok...at least I can use it to surf the Internet on my sofa and read some emails. 700 bucks for that? Hmmm...

Why is it so important for apple to control photos this way? It would probably bring the device to it's knees if they allowed full size photos to by uploaded. I get that. But why not exaplain the limitations so the user can make an informed decision? Tech support still won't acknowledge the limitations.

Off to look more closely at the other options.

Nate

Last edited:

Brewc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nate, jailbreak it! I have my iphoe jailbroke and its great. Just got the ipad for Christmass and not decided if I will do this or not, I have a photog buddy who does portraits and ask if he has any issues if he uses it in the same fashion.

Most reactions

Latest posts