What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't sync iPad without erasing

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My hard drive failed a few weeks back. Since I had it replaced I had been working when I had time getting everything off my external back onto the computer and getting it up and running again. Today was the first day I tried syncing my iPad since the crash. It says it can't be synced because it's synced to another iTunes library, but it's the same account. I also had to authorize the computer as if it was a different computer. How do I get my iTunes to think it's the same account as before and not lose all my notes, contacts, bookmarks, and so on? I really don't want to have to start all that stuff over again.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As long as you have the same account, you should be able to sync. Just take a look at iTune on the PC to see that it has the same user name as on your iPad.
remember that you may have your iTune on multiple PC's, and yoy can sync your iPAD out of more then a single PC.
I myself make from time to time a full copy of iTune and transfer it to a backup PC. I have no problem with syncing my iPAD on the Backup PC

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Assuming you are using some Microsoft OS , The iTune library should be in ...\User....\My Music (or Music)\

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't quote me, as I am not an expert... but I don't think that you have to worry about losing the personal information - notes, contacts, etc. The "library" is likely referring to the app library, and it is different than the one that you had.

So, as I see it, you do a back up and restore, and all should be well. Except that if you don't have all the same apps on your compputer, they won't all load back to the iPad. But, the backup and restore should put all the notes, contacts, etc back on the iPad.

OP
D

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How do I do a backup restore? And why wouldn't the apps stay on my iPad? It's the same account. I usually buy apps on the iPad and when I sync they go onto the computer. I know I can re-download the apps again for free if they get wiped out but some of them have information on them that I can't lose. Like my blood sugar levels on my glucose monitor app for example. Is it too late to do a backup restore? it won't sync at all and I can't interact with it on iTunes in any way without erasing it first. I guess I can call them on Monday. I wanted to add new content to it for earlier tonight, I spent 5 hours in a hotel lobby. It's over now though, and I kept busy with what I had:eek:

OP
D

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just got done fixing it with the help of Apple customer support. I figured I should report how it was done in case someone else ever comes up with this problem.

First I backed up the iPad
Then I was asked to authorize the computer but that was already done.
Then I imported the purchases from the iPad to the new version of iTunes
Then I did the erase/sync.

No notes or contacts were lost. My progress in all my games were saved. My pictures were still there, the desktop image stayed the same, and I have not noticed any settings resetting to default. I lost all the books in my iBooks program but that's fine because I can download them all again, I haven't paid for one yet. I did NOT lose any of the items I uploaded off my computer into the Comiczeal app or the PDFReader Pro app. I did lose the three movies I had loaded on there. Most importantly, my glucose records were saved:) The only things I lost were some movies and free books.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing with us. I just didn't understand these 2 steps.
  1. Then I was asked to authorize the computer but that was already done.
  2. Then I imported the purchases from the iPad to the new version of iTunes

Did you mean by authorize , that you entered your Name/Password for iTune ?
when stating purchases , did you mean you re-Downloaded all app's

OP
D

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, up at the very top where it says "Store" you click on it and the drop down menu appears and there is an option saying "Authorize this computer" it is for allowing content bought on a different computer to play on another one. You can play your iTunes purchases on up to 5 different computers.

Too import purchases from the iPad to the computer you plug it in and highlight it on the left and right click. A dropdown menu will appear and you can choose to import the purchases you made on yoour iPad onto your computers iTunes.

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers.

Sorry I did not get back to you on the backup / restore - I trust you know how to do that now. I figured that you would contact Apple as you had mentioned.

I did not know about re-importing everything - that is handy to know about.

You can authorize up to 5 computers to be able to put all your purchases, music, etc... but you can put content on an unlimited number of devices... Between the nanos, iPods, iPhones and iTouches, I have I think 10 devices with various content - so the 5 computer thing is really pretty easy to live with, especially as you can de-authorize a computer (gaining another number back).

Glad you are up and running again!

Most reactions

Latest posts