What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't switch off when charging

fuzzyfelts

iPF Novice
Reaction score
graywolf said:
I like to have it off too so I don't get woken up by notifications from iPF! :D I will get the most random stuff around midnight.
If the battery is below like 20% it will turn back on. Weird, but that's what I have found. I used to run it under 20% and it would turn back on. But now I charge it every night and it doesn't get below like 30-45%. Experiment and see.

Turn your sound off then you won't get woken by notifications overnight!

Sent from Wales, using my iPad & iPF.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, last night I plugged in the charger and the iPad turned back on (as usual-into stand by mode), then I held/swiped it off. This time it stayed off all night. Seems reasonable to me.:p

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jeeper said:
Ok, last night I plugged in the charger and the iPad turned back on (as usual-into stand by mode), then I held/swiped it off. This time it stayed off all night. Seems reasonable to me.:p

Yes, that is normal. In my situation, it doesn't matter how many times I switch it off it will always come instantly back on if it is plugged into the mains at the time...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
fuzzyfelts said:
I leave my iPad charging overnight and it switches itself off after a few moment back to standby. I don't think you can charge from turning off completely, with holding down the on switch and swiping, when you plug the charger in the iPad will boot itself up again thus turning back on.

No, this is a problem. You can turn the iPad off when charging UNLESS you have this issue, which you obviously do too. Trust me, many people can turn off their iPads fully when plugged in and they stay off. As I said before, I was able to do it for several months. There is definitely something which is now preventing it.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is definitely NOT serious. Just odd. :D
Plus I don't like not knowing WHY!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fuzzyfelts said:
Turn your sound off then you won't get woken by notifications overnight!

The screen turn on and still wakes me up! :D
It turns off. But I used to have to put it under a microfiber cloth that I use to clean it. It is black so it blocked the light.

OP
Q

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's not serious, just annoying. I mute it and cover it with a cloth and it's fine

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe if you try to switch the notifications off? I do not have this issue, so I can not test it.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice suggestion JJK. I've tried airplane mode, notifications, auto-lock, and just about EVERY other setting I can think of in the settings app. Just tried notifications again. The iPad starts up when you power it off... No dice I'm afraid. Thanks though.

Montereybob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fuzzyfelts said:
I leave my iPad charging overnight and it switches itself off after a few moment back to standby. I don't think you can charge from turning off completely, with holding down the on switch and swiping, when you plug the charger in the iPad will boot itself up again thus turning back on.

I have no problem with plugging in, then sliding the turn off, and having it stay off all night. I have ipad2. Maybe it's different on ipad1?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Montereybob said:
I have no problem with plugging in, then sliding the turn off, and having it stay off all night. I have ipad2. Maybe it's different on ipad1?

No, I have iPad 1 and it will turn off.

BBSean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It'll be serious when it starts taking forever to charge and then stops charging altogether :D

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Nice suggestion JJK. I've tried airplane mode, notifications, auto-lock, and just about EVERY other setting I can think of in the settings app. Just tried notifications again. The iPad starts up when you power it off... No dice I'm afraid. Thanks though.

I don't know but that sounds pretty serious to me... at the very least, seriously irritating.

Most reactions