What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't save account numbers in Safari

rookie50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
example if I put in my account number on my banking site and check the box to store the number it will not be there the next time I go to that site and I have to re enter the account number. This is the same for other sites as well. I've tried all settings that I could think of with no luck. This is an iPad 3 with latest software update. I have another iPad with same settings etc no problem. I have reset and reinstalled info but same thing. Very frustrating. Any help please!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To some extent it depends on the site. Banks often have very short Remember Me timeouts.

However, if it's a problem on every site you've probably enabled Private Browsing mode. If your header/toolbar in Safari is a dark gray with white icons, then you are in Private Browsing mode. This prevents the saving of history or cookies. Cookies are where the Remember Me credentials are usually stored.

To exit Private Mode, tap the double square icon at the top right of the screen then tap Private to un-highlight it. Your toolbar should go back to being white with blue icons. You'll probably have to log into each site once again before they start remembering you.

The other possibility is that you are blocking all cookies in Safari's settings. The best compromise between security and utility for Safari is to set Block Cookies to "Allow from Current Website Only".

OP
R

rookie50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To some extent it depends on the site. Banks often have very short Remember Me timeouts.

However, if it's a problem on every site you've probably enabled Private Browsing mode. If your header/toolbar in Safari is a dark gray with white icons, then you are in Private Browsing mode. This prevents the saving of history or cookies. Cookies are where the Remember Me credentials are usually stored.

To exit Private Mode, tap the double square icon at the top right of the screen then tap Private to un-highlight it. Your toolbar should go back to being white with blue icons. You'll probably have to log into each site once again before they start remembering you.

The other possibility is that you are blocking all cookies in Safari's settings. The best compromise between security and utility for Safari is to set Block Cookies to "Allow from Current Website Only".
Thanks for your suggestions. I had already checked for private browsing and it is fine. Also made sure cookie settings were ok. Seems it gets cleared whenever a new site is activated thru my favorites or bookmarks!
I can go in and out of the browser and it is still there. If I go to another favorite then back to the bank site thru the favorites or bookmarks it wipes out saved card number? I've done a reset and that didn't help.any other ideas?

OP
R

rookie50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well all of a sudden cookies are again working. At least we were both on the same wavelength in trying to diagnose the problem.
Thanks for your advice. Must have been site related.

jaba123

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Twerpoet, I thing these site r SSL or maybe online that's why.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No idea. But most banks don't like to store credentials for long. It's a security risk.
If I leave my banking app, even for a few seconds, I have to log in again. It's certainly good for security of your financial info.

Most reactions