What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't restore or sync iPad?

Formel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got a 1st Gen iPad, went to update it the other day on iTunes. Seemed like it all went well. Then I noticed my 3G signal was gone, so I tried to restore it. Since then, I can't get the thing to connect to my iTunes? I even deleted my current iTunes and redownloaded iTunes 10.2.2 again? I get "We're sorry we are unable to continue with your activation at this time" in the iTunes menu. I tried to power off, hold the home and plug in to force the restore process, but once it starts, it comes with the same message. The iPad screen is like a new screen with the USB picture and iTunes logo above it. It doesn't change. Anyone? Seems like the last update was the death of it?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you in a different territory from where you originally activated the SIM card for 3G?
Try taking the SIM card out and connect it.
I know that if you are in a different country you can have trouble activating it if the carrier is not valid in your new geographic location.
Does that fit with your scenario?

Last edited:
OP
F

Formel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No same city, same computer as from when originally activated. Tried the SIM card trick around midnight last night as well..no luck...I am my office now and trying to restore it to my office computer since I have to wipe it clean...hoping it will allow it to hook up. Downloading OS now for it...keeping fingers crossed...if I can at least get the system on line and syncing, maybe I can then wipe it and sync to my home computer...

OP
F

Formel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well that didn't go well. It acted like it was restoring, after the reboot, when it connected, the iPad had the same two logo's like it wasn't connected via USB and the iTunes showed the same "We're are unable..." error code. I even tried to take the SIM and try it again.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You prolly already done it...but did you "authorize" your home pc or work pc with iTunes.

OP
F

Formel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, they are "authorized" with iTunes...got a smartbar appt at noon as Apple Support was only going to suggest what I've already tried...I'll let you know what happens.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I know that the App Store has been having problems the last couple of days. It could be that Apple's servers are also having problems, and that is why you are getting the message. Most likely all of this is Apple trying to get the new iCloud servers up and on line.

Give Apple Tech support a call, and ask. Or just try a few more times and see what happens.

OP
F

Formel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Called tech this morning, and they said I've done all they would walk me thru for $30. Set appt at MAC and they managed to get it reset, but wouldn't tell me the magic. They mentioned it was out of warranty, but note in the file in case it happened again. Guessing it had to with my update and restore, and was their issue...

Most reactions

Latest posts