What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't reply to eMails

Gary Powell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
G'day Groovers,
I am continually getting a "doesn't allow relaying" message every time I try to send, reply or forward an eMail.

I have an optusnet.com.au eMail account and all works fine from my PC but not form the iPad.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Gary

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
G'day Groovers,
I am continually getting a "doesn't allow relaying" message every time I try to send, reply or forward an eMail.

I have an optusnet.com.au eMail account and all works fine from my PC but not form the iPad.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Gary

This is the Port 25 relay problem and it's well known. You need to change your iPad's mail settings in the 'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'Accounts', choose the account in question, 'SMTP' and then switch on the secure login facility, SSL and choose port 465. Sometimes it's easier to set up a new 'duplicate' account - with identical receive (POP or IMAP) settings and the SMTP SSL for send, then get it working before 'switching off' the old email settings. When you choose SSL it will request an account name (your email address) and a password (the same one you use for receiving mail).

Now you have secure send mail and the relay problem should go away. It can take a few experiments to get this to work correctly so some patience may be needed!!

Tim

OP
G

Gary Powell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
G'day Tim,
I have tried what you suggested many times now but keep getting the same error response: "Can not connect to outgoing mail server mail.optusnet.com.au. Check network connections and mail server details and try again."

I'm still receiving emails but still can't send, reply or forward.

Do you have any other tips for me please?

Starting to go crazy trying to get this to work but I do thank you for your patients with me.

Cheers,
Gary.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
G'day Tim,
I have tried what you suggested many times now but keep getting the same error response: "Can not connect to outgoing mail server mail.optusnet.com.au. Check network connections and mail server details and try again."

I'm still receiving emails but still can't send, reply or forward.

Do you have any other tips for me please?

Starting to go crazy trying to get this to work but I do thank you for your patients with me.

Cheers,
Gary.

Are you sending from your home network or another? I've had a look and I'm starting to wonder if optus support SSL. Your first error message was the Port 25 relay problem but the last one was a simple inability to connect. I have seen several other users reporting similar problems.

Tim

OP
G

Gary Powell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
G'day Tim,
I'm using a Telstra 3G card.

Yes, my initial error was "won't allow relaying" but since trying the solution you recommended it is now "can't connect".

Should I try setting it up without SSL although not desirable?

Appreciate your help.

Cheers,
Gary.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - I've been looking around and found that Optus does block Port 25 relay and doesn't support SSL...however, you can apply to have your Port 25 blocking revoked. You need to go to Member Services at....

https://idp.optusnet.com.au/idp/opt...s://memberservices.optuszoo.com.au/shibboleth

and then go back on the iPad to your Port 25 settings. It's because you're sending from a Telstra 3G card and so it counts as a relay because you're not on the Optus DSL line.

Tim

OP
G

Gary Powell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim you are my hero.

Just so you know my name is Sandy....Gary's other half. So he is not gay, not that there is anything wrong with that:)

So we truly thank you as all is working now. Just need to be careful re Spamming, Viruses and so on now that I have disabled SSL.

Cheers,
Sandy & Gary.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim strikes again! He is our iPad hero! sigh!

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim you are my hero.

Just so you know my name is Sandy....Gary's other half. So he is not gay, not that there is anything wrong with that:)

So we truly thank you as all is working now. Just need to be careful re Spamming, Viruses and so on now that I have disabled SSL.

Cheers,
Sandy & Gary.

The only issue with Port 25 relay is that, in 'ye olden days' when the Internet was just getting going, the 'grandfathers and grandmothers' of the Internet who put together all the standards thought that it would, of course, be necessary to use a password to receive email but they never thought it would be necessary to have a password to send email. After all, you pick up your regular (paper) mail from a secure mailbox, but you can pop your new mail into any letterbox.

But the problem is simply that, if you don't have security on sending mail, anyone can send mail pretending to be you. After all, all they need to know is your email address - there's nothing else needed to set up a Port 25 SMTP account. So someone could start sending malicious emails purporting to have come from you. This happened at my University a few years ago when some students thought it would be funny to circulate emails, supposedly from the Head of Department, saying he was resigning!!!! After that, we banned Port 25 relay too!!

When you're sending from home, there's not a problem because your DSL line has to have an account and password to log on so Optus know it's you - or someone authorised by you - using that DSL line, so there's not a problem with Port 25. So that's why your PC worked OK. But on the 3G card Optus receive the Port 25 request over the general Internet and they have no way of confirming the identity of the originator.

Have a great weekend...

Tim

Dragons

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Howdy

Tim you are my hero.

Cheers,
Sandy & Gary.

The only issue with Port 25 relay is that, in 'ye olden days' when the Internet was just getting going, the 'grandfathers and grandmothers' of the Internet who put together all the standards thought that it would, of course, be necessary to use a password to receive email but they never thought it would be necessary to have a password to send email. After all, you pick up your regular (paper) mail from a secure mailbox, but you can pop your new mail into any letterbox.

But the problem is simply that, if you don't have security on sending mail, anyone can send mail pretending to be you. After all, all they need to know is your email address - there's nothing else needed to set up a Port 25 SMTP account. So someone could start sending malicious emails purporting to have come from you. This happened at my University a few years ago when some students thought it would be funny to circulate emails, supposedly from the Head of Department, saying he was resigning!!!! After that, we banned Port 25 relay too!!

When you're sending from home, there's not a problem because your DSL line has to have an account and password to log on so Optus know it's you - or someone authorised by you - using that DSL line, so there's not a problem with Port 25. So that's why your PC worked OK. But on the 3G card Optus receive the Port 25 request over the general Internet and they have no way of confirming the identity of the originator.

Have a great weekend...

Tim

Tim, I have the same prob but usual send using wifi......what do I need to do with my Optus settings

Thanks
Dragons

tonycruz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a even biger problem.
When i reply To Any email and press the send my email prog disappear and jump to homescreen without sending it.
Any help on this?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have a even biger problem.
When i reply To Any email and press the send my email prog disappear and jump to homescreen without sending it.
Any help on this?

Have you tried a restart or reset?

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

tonycruz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I did tried that already, no luck....All this started after the jailbreak, I can receive,and I can send my forward and reply just don't work, it is like if I switch off the mail program.

tonycruz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok...I just found the solution for the problem of reply and forward....So , if anyone is having the same problem : Just hold the reply or forward for 2 or 3 seconds and then release it...it will open the Email you want to reply ...If you just press it as usual it will switch off the mail program....this is for IPad 2 jailbroken.
Thanks for your help anyway...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, it shouldn't work that way, but I'm glad you found a workaround.

Since you mentioned that you are jailbroken, you may to try deinstalling (or shut off) any tweak you made in the recent past, just to see if you can isolate the problem.

Most reactions